Chassis
Freightliner XCR
Engine
Cummins 400 HP
TOW/TOAD
2017 Chevy Colorado
Fulltimer
No
It seems RV's were not meant to be used where there is snow. I had an issue this past January where I was at a campground and we got snow and ice, the typical Virginia mix. Of course I had to leave the next day and yes, I left my slides out. Naturally the slides were not going to go in so I had to spray with water to melt it, using the hot water connection from the gen bay. It ultimately worked and as I was done for 1-2 months I didn't care where the water froze. But I digress.

What are the recommendations for snow and RVing? It seems concerning how much weight, or lack thereof, that a slide topper can support. Then there is snow removal and the hazardous situations you can get yourself in trying to sweep it off or other ways of snow removal (leaf blower is another option, I have a battery powered one).

The obvious answer is retracting the slides while it's snowing. Or leaving select slides out such as the bedroom slide to allow bathroom access, etc.

We've faced the same issue in Montana and haven't found any real answer except for bringing the slides in before snow accumulates on them. That makes for some pretty cramped quarters, Hope someone comes up with a better solution.

TJ

@TJ&LadyDi does the increased angle of the girard slide topper help reduce snow accumulation?

On my 2013 I would bring the slides in and back out periodically while it was snowing. The worst snow storm I was in had accumulation of 6 in overnight. I brought the slides in once before bed and back out. The next morning same routine, allowing the sun to warm up before the final storing.

This worked for what was a rather dry snow. Not so sure it would work for the wet snow or freezing rains. For that, I would bring in the slides for the duration of the event.

2019 DSDP 4369 * Active Air * NHSO

I suppose that could work, but I hate to operate my slides more often than I have to. We have enough trouble with slides without increasing their usage.

The "increased angle" of the Gerard slide topper doesn't seem to have much effect. Snow still accumulates on them.

For now, we will just pull the slides in when snow hits and deal with the cramped quarters.

TJ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest resources

Back