Chassis
Spartan K3
Engine
Cummins ISX12 (500HP)
TOW/TOAD
2023 Jeep GC Summit Reserve
Fulltimer
Yes
Well I should’ve have known better. Heading from Maryland to Flordia and stopped in Roanoke Rapids NC for an overnight. I heard that there was a forecast for a rain / snow mixture. I should have put in the slides, but I didn’t. I woke up with 3-4” of snow on the slide toppers. I tried cleaning the toppers with my pole and window squeegee, but given the depth of the slides and the angle of attach, it wouldn’t work. I had to pull the ladder out and clean them off from up high. Not fun. It delayed us about an hour, but we’re now near Savanah GA and the weather is slowing getting warmer. :)

Heated slide toppers - now that would be an interesting mod or feature

Hmmm...what happens if you simply bring in your slide and the snow falls off as the topper rolls up? Am I missing something. Please forgive me in advance as we live on the Central Coast of California and snow on the topper isn't "a thing" ?

In my case the slide topper didn’t roll and just folded up jamming itself. Probably an icing situation too.

What @Neal said. Plus as the topper gets folded up (and not retracted) the possibility of damaging it exists. I'm not sure that the slide would actually close all the way, as the snow gets compacted on top of the slide. The slides have about a 4" lip at the top.

I had thought of spraying the topper with warm water, but what a mess it would have been as the water came back down on me. I think Neal's idea of using a wand to direct the water has merit.

I made this mistake on my very first trip from VA to SC in November 2019. Rained the night before we were to depart the campground so slide toppers were wet as we went into the night. The next morning they were frozen and I heard this awful loud cracking when I was bringing the slides in. I stopped immediately and checked for damage. Turned out the cracking sound I heard was the cracking of ice that had formed on my wet slide toppers. I spent a good hour on a ladder with an ice scraper and snow brush. If it’s going to rain and the temp will be below 40 the night before I depart, I bring my slides in.

Latest resources

Back