• Commercial/Vendors welcome

So who’s buying a Bronco?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Lately auto manufacturers are moving towards transmissions that are not flat towable? Hope that's not the case with Ford?

The wrangler has the same 8spd as BMW installs on the 5 series. The transfer case is what allows the transmission to be disconnected, and thus flat towable.

A two-speed transfer case practically guarantees that a vehicle is flat towable. Reason being that in order to switch from one speed, say 4H into the other, say 2H, you must be able to put the transfer case in neutral. You can’t jump from one speed to the other without that. And once the ability to put a transfer case in neutral exists, the ability to flat tow exists, unless the manufacturer was just particularly lazy and didn’t give the operator a way to leave the transfer case in neutral, which is unheard of and would make Ford a real innovator if that turned out to be the case.

also, the Bronco is built on the same platform as the Ranger, which is also flat towable.

If I was looking for a real off-road vehicle, this would be my ticket. SASQUATCH all the way! I’ve never owned a Ford (except that one F53), this one has my attention.

Sorry to break it to you @RandyB, Sasquatch only comes with an automatic. To me, this is the dumbest thing about the whole unit. Why buy the Sasquatch kit with all the hardcore off-road goodies only to get stuck with an automatic?!

don’t get me wrong, it’ll still murder the trails but where’s the fun in an automatic doing all the work for you?

Here what Ford says about the low range shifting.
"The Bronco's base four-wheel-drive system has a two-speed electronic transfer case, controlled via a dial"
Below is the picture of the dial and doesn't show a neutral position not saying there isn't another way to get into netrual.
Wrangler has a manual shift leveler that you put in HI - Netrual - Low Range.
I Don't think I will be selling my Rubicon anytime soon.
2021-ford-bronco-2-door-155-1594328614.jpg

My Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk has a dial to control the transfer case as well and provides zero indicators on the dial as to how to shift the transfer case into Neutral other than a tiny Neutral button that I have to press and hold with the tip of a ball point pen.

Having a dial simply means that your transfer case is controlled electronically which is no surprise for a modern vehicle, especially one that sports IFS and a rack and pinion steering setup instead of a steer box and solid axle like you’ll find on a Wrangler or Gladiator. That bug difference in suspension and steering setups between the two is what allows Ford to support driver assist functions like lane control, auto parking and more, where Jeep cannot on the Wrangler/Gladiator. A steering box just isn’t precise enough to be able to do those things, even though it is admittedly a more rugged, tough as nails setup which is easy to repair in the field.

Long story short, my Jeep Cherokee uses a dial and can shift the transfer case into neutral and flat tow just fine. Odds are very good that the Bronco will be the same, you’ll just have to perform some odd set of steps like shift from drive to neutral 11 times in 9 seconds while holding the brake pedal and patting your head.

Here’s a great technical breakdown of the Bronco by a former Jeep engineer that actually worked on the development of the JL Wrangler. It’s fairly objective even though it’s clear where his heart lies.

Last edited:
Sorry to break it to you @RandyB,

don’t get me wrong, it’ll still murder the trails but where’s the fun in an automatic doing all the work for you?
My next dream car way ahead of a Bronco is a new Corvette Z51. Only an automatic trans. I’ll get over it. Track days!!!!

Sasquatch base = 63,000

Last edited:
The new FORD BRONCO will be a huge hit! A well thought out & designed vehicle for off-roading, but highway driving too! A great looking aggressive vehicle!

Never been a FORD guy, as I worked at a multi-line GM Dealer for 38 years!

And until this came out, I had probably the best off-road (or one of) trucks available in the Chevy Colorado "ZR-2"! I know there are other opinions, too!;)

This thing should be a hit, & I wonder what GM is going to do to compete? The current Chevy "Blazer" is a wimp vehicle for the soccer Mom!
GM needs to build another true "BLAZER" !!

Aww heck, I'm too old to really care anymore! Hardly off-road like I used to do in years past!:cool:

Bet it's gonna give Jeep a fit!!

Great looking vehicle!(y)

Latest resources

Back