Vision
RV Length
Chassis
Chevrolet
Engine
Fulltimer
Yes
Hi folks

My ‘98 Rexhall Vision 28’ plugs in to a solar system for its power. It’s powered by two 200ah batteries (not lithium). The sun’s been shining, and batteries are 100% charge upwards of 13v at end of day. There are no heavy electrical draws as a rule unless I’m using something. The RV converter is brand new, and operating normally.
Yesterday morning while running the microwave, power cut off to everything. The whole kit and kabootle. I plugged the RV chord in to a stand alone generator, and power came up fine to everything. So, I have to assume the issue is with the solar system.
The system checks out for charging and operation, except it’s showing only @60v at the 30a RV plug in.
The question:
Can outlets get blown while still looking fine? Is it possible the problem is just the outlet?

Thank you !

Don't know where the 60v comes from!
BUT!
let's start here! Are you getting 13vdc after the sun sets, and it's dark out?
Are we talking converter or inverter?
How many watts of solar?
Don't understand RV plugged into solar!

IMG_2920.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_2921.jpeg
    IMG_2921.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 5
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 6
That’s the set up. It’s ac at the plug (obviously). Inside, the converter supplies the 12v dc where needed.

so my thought process first off would be:

what is the maximum amperage or wattage allowed from your DC to AC inverter? 20amp, 30aamp, 60amp, 120amp, 250amp?

microwaves use approx. 12.5 amps (1,500 watts), so the issue is the microwave might be to powerful for the DC to AC inverter.

when connecting to a generator you are on AC, not DC to AC inverter.

solar charging is for the DC system (12v stuff), which is basically your lights, fridge, slide out, awing, water pump. everything else, microwave, water heater, TV, sound system, 110v outlets, etc. HVAC are on the AC system (120v stuff) and while the inverter might power the TVs and Sound, most are not capable of powering the microwave or water heater, as the required amperage far exceeds the ability of the DC to AC inverter, you need shore power or generator for that.

I have a 2020 Highland Ridge, Ultra Lite 26' and the inverter will not power the microwave or water heater, This is how my system works, if I am running off the Trailer batteries, I cannot use the TV or Microwave, or even a coffee maker without shore power or a generator.

I am sure there are inverters that will power the AC appliances, but from what I have learned the AC devices typically require shore power or a generator, the DC to AC inverters in travel trailers are just not powerful enough.

personally, I added 2 ecoflow generators (7,200wh lithium generators) that charge via solar, the ecoflow has a 30-amp connection that goes to my trailers 30amp AC input, and they allow me to use the AC appliances.

This setup is no different than a gas generator setup, just with batteries instead of fuel. These are powerful DC-AC inverters like a gas generator is, allowing up to 250amps of AC appliances.

Last edited:
So the picture says 119v, but the receptacle says 60 v? Check the terminals for proper torque. 60 v is a big question for me.

I'm hung up on that voltage, yes bad connection is likely the problem.

I agree with all written above. Your battery condition note of "upwards of 13v at the end of the day" only tells you exactly half of what you need to consider. It is volts and amps that are important. If your 13 something volt charged battery can't deliver very many amps then . . . it is dead. Volts x amps = watts = power = the ability to perform useful work.

Rick

Latest resources

Back