Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Avalanche 36

RVF Newbee
So looking for some knowledge and experience related to my setup.I currently have two group 31 deep cycle wet cell batteries (upgraded) 98 amp hours each,with a 1000 watt inverter for a residential fridge(AC only).My wife bought a renogy solar suitcase 2 panels 100 watts each.So I'm looking to add on but trying to be realistic about it, would upgrading my inverter to an inverter/charger unit be worth it or what is best route to pursue? We're interested in dry camping and are looking for suggestions, thanks

Beyond dry camping, what is your goal with respect to running AC stuff? Your suitcase panels are a small (200 watt max under perfect conditions) battery charger. An inverter/charger only charges your batteries when you‘re plugged in and your existing converter has a charger built in to it for that function. So an inverter/charger wont change anything as far as charging goes. As far as more power to run more AC stuff, or to run existing AC stuff longer, those are functions of battery bank size and inverter capacity. So you need ro define your power needs to identify useful upgrades.

Last edited:
Beyond dry camping, what is your goal with respect to running AC stuff? Your suitcase panels are a small (200 watt max under perfect conditions) battery charger. An inverter charger only charges your batteries when you‘re plugged in and your existing converter has a charger built in to it for that function. So an inverter/charger wont change anything as far as charging goes. As far as more power to run more AC stuff, or to run existing AC stuff longer, those are functions of battery bank size and inverter capacity. So you need ro define your power needs to identify useful upgrades.
Thanks for the information, will do some more investigating

If you have a 36’ 5th wheel (Avalanche 36?) then you have plenty of room to expand your battery bank, as well as room for a serious solar installation up top, at which point we’d be talking solar controllers and an inverter upgrade. So it all depends on what your power needs (wants) are, especially if you have a 36’ 5th wheel.

Latest resources

Back