Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

xxiiiliv

RVF Regular
I was wondering the other day… if I were to use a solar generator as the power source for the rv, would it work. I have (2) 81 Ah batteries now which, if I’m right, factoring in not going below 50%, give me 972 watts of power. The solar gen I’m looking at is 1000w ( 50.4v @ 20 Ah ). It looks like I would have a slight gain in power. DC output is 300w @ 12v., which gives me 25 A. So, if my math is right, here’s my question :

Does it seem feasible that I could run some lights, and a soon to be purchased 12V. Compressor fridge on this setup? I think the fridge is somewhere around 3A.

Would a 100W. Solar panel charge it fast enough for daily use ? ( I’m a bit shaky on THAT math )

I do have a gas gen as well

I plan, as well, to make some quick connects for the AC/DC outputs to plug into the panel

My reasoning for this is as follows…living in Las Vegas, lake Mead is at its lowest level ever and they’re talking about power shortages. I want to be able to simply grab the solar gen and power a few things in the house instead of using the gas gen and risk attracting zombies.

Does this seem reasonable? pro/con definitely welcome

My opinion is solar generators are a waist of time and money. Much of the time the charge controllers on these things are the cheap PWM units that by design throw away a good percentage of the power any panels used produce. They are too small for anything more than a camping trip.

My experience setting up solar systems tell me that with a quality MPPT controller. it takes 300w of solar charging 100ah lithium iron phosphate batteries is required to run a 45w 12v fridge/freezer set as refrigerator to be reliable. This changes with a efficient apartment size refrigerator. I have run one on 280watts of solar reliably. Still for a system that will run no matter what the sky looks like I feel 500W is required for any long term use.

My opinion is solar generators are a waist of time and money. Much of the time the charge controllers on these things are the cheap PWM units that by design throw away a good percentage of the power any panels used produce. They are too small for anything more than a camping trip.

My experience setting up solar systems tell me that with a quality MPPT controller. it takes 300w of solar charging 100ah lithium iron phosphate batteries is required to run a 45w 12v fridge/freezer set as refrigerator to be reliable. This changes with a efficient apartment size refrigerator. I have run one on 280watts of solar reliably. Still for a system that will run no matter what the sky looks like I feel 500W is required for any long term use.
With the setup i have/am looking at, what in your opinion, are the deficits I’m looking at. I’m figuring whatever ol’ sol can’t deliver daily, I can make up for with the gas gen. Also, take into account my intended reason for this setup

OK now I have introduced my ice breaker, and you are talking. I don't know your living conditions HOA, gated community, ranch. About the same time solar generators hit the market I was containing in wood boxes battery controller and inverter for select friends. I am retired so I didn't want a business. The inverter was sized for the load. The controller was always 60A MPPT controller, and I tried 50A lithium battery that many times had to be restarted because the BMS shut the battery down. No problem when bumped to 100Ah battery.

If you can park the trailer along side of the house you can run cord into the house for light and refer. If you can't do that you can make a box like i described and cart it into the house. You can put used panels on the house that get plugged into the box to increase the power at the house. I buy used panels (250w) for 50 bucks a pop. two on the roof of the RV and 3 on the house will cover all needs. One size does not cover all and an effort to do so is a mistake. Last but not least you will spend much less to do the job.

Latest resources

Back