Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Dr. Arnett

RVF Newbee
I will soon be purchasing a 2021 FR3 to live in full time and was wondering if anyone had experiences they would like to share? Thanks, bunches.

The only thing I can think of is try a few trips 'close to home' so that when you discover what is not functiing properly you stand a chance at getting it fixed before venturing out on the road.

Check the warranty. Many or most are void when used for full-time living.

Be completely sure it's big enough for you to live in full time and buy your 2nd rv 1st.
I ate a ton of depreciation buying things I thought were big enough and then finding out they weren't.

Check the warranty. Many or most are void when used for full-time living.
Warranties are a joke. When I bought my Montana I asked the sales manager about getting mobile service since I would be living in it. He said RV's aren't for living in full time. I said Look right here on your brochure, your main selling point is THE ONLY RV APPROVED FOR FULL TIME LIVING. He changed his tune.
All the things that went wrong I either fixed myself or hired a mobile guy to fix (furnace). To get my money back from the mobile guy I had to have pictures of every move he made, I learned this after the fact. Also the warranty wouldn't cover his service fee (the flat fee to just get him there) and that's sometimes as much as the bill.

And who wants to make an appointment and be without their rv for 2 weeks, have to drive it there and leave it, wait for parts, other such nonsense.
The only warranty satisfaction I got on the Montana was on a bent axle and that wasn't even Keystone, that was Dexter axle. They shipped a complete axle to a truck shop for free, I still had to pay install which was $250.

Congrats Doc, hope you enjoy. We see plenty of them on the road, so there should be many folks that can offer some experiences.

In April of this year, we purchased a used Forest River 2016 Wildwood 253RLXL. It had seen little use by the previous owners. In fact, the smoke alarm had never been activated nor had the factory labels been removed from the shower fixtures or toilet seat. Even today we find some things that clearly weren't right coming out of the factory. We have corrected most of the issues, by doing the work ourselves. It has been a fun project. We spent about $3500 out of pocket on the needed repairs. I supplied the labor. These were largely due to neglect by the previous owners.

We love the trailer, the configuration and we often get very positive comments about the features, amenities, and condition of the trailer when others see it. Proud to be a Forest River owner. {Not our first trailer either.}

Did you order with solar option?

Test drive one, if you haven't already.

Latest resources

Back