Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

vonda

RVF Newbee
My sister & I just bought a 40 ft RV & we are looking for long term rv parks in southern California. Where's the best sites or apps to look for such information. Also what would be the best & safest/easiest route to take from Vacaville, CA?
We are new at driving a rig this big {our last rv was a class C 1976} Any help would be appreciated. TY

Attachments

• 2005 newmar1.jpg
    2005 newmar1.jpg
    361.5 KB · Views: 4
Where in SoCal are you thinking? Highway 5 should be fine, other than maybe some traffic depending on what time you hit LA.

I can’t help with EV parks and such, but I grew up in San Jose. My recollection of trips to CA would suggest that you’ll be fine sticking to 5, 210, 10, etc. my more recent experiences driving through have been in our van (no travel trailer) coming from Denver via Vegas and Barstow.

If you wanted a different route, going from Bakersfield east on 58 to 395 south is a reasonable alternate, though that area can get very windy.

X2 10 to the 215 to 395 to the 58 drops you right into bakersfield where you can go north on 5 or the 99. Small climb up and down to tehachapi on 58 and cajon pass on the 215.

X2 10 to the 215 to 395 to the 58 drops you right into bakersfield where you can go north on 5 or the 99. Small climb up and down to tehachapi on 58 and cajon pass on the 215.
The only caveat to 58 is that dropping down into Bakersfield might be one of the roughest 4 lane highways I have ever taken. That said, I’ve done it several times in my coach and lived.

Look for the app RV Parky. Search by city then create a travel route

My sister & I just bought a 40 ft RV & we are looking for long term rv parks in southern California. Where's the best sites or apps to look for such information. Also what would be the best & safest/easiest route to take from Vacaville, CA?
We are new at driving a rig this big {our last rv was a class C 1976} Any help would be appreciated. TY
Hello, I've lived in SoCal (San Gabriel Valley) for 6 decades and feel I know a bit about traveling through these parts. Don't let anyone scare you; all the freeways are navigable with anything you wanna throw at them. Not fun at times, but doable!

Don't sweat coming down south, no big deal on either I-5 or I-99. HOWEVER, once you come into the LA basin past Santa Clarita, you DEFINITELY want to consider coming EAST on I-210. This will keep you north of the downtown LA headaches.

Once you get past the San Gabriel Valley, you can head south on a number of freeways: 605, 57, 15, or 215.

As for "Long-term" places, you're pretty much outta luck anywhere LA, but I can directly you to the few you'll find to the east.

Bonelli Bluffs in San Dimas/Pomona is a nice hilltop park, with plenty of full timers as well as temps. Overlooks Puddingstone reservoir and is a good hub for lots to do.

The LA beach area, you've Newport Dunes in Newport Beach; typical crowded beach scenes, but classicly epic Cali beaches.

In Temecula, you've got Pechanga RV resort; great place for wine country.

From their south, you've pretty much gonna have to head to San Diego, where you've got Mission Bay Resort and Sun Resorts Chula Vista.

If you're in the winter months, you can look at the Palm Springs/Indio resorts such as Emerald, Outdoor Resorts, and MotorCoach Country Club (which has a 30 day limit).

There "are" a few other small parks scattered around, such as Orangeland in Anaheim, but I don't have any experience or references to draw upon to help.

Use RV Trip Wizard to help your routing and campground selection; have used it for years and it's never let us down.

HTH!

Latest resources

Back