Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

westlynch

RVF Newbee
Hello. New to this forum but seven years in with my coach.
The Park function does not hold the coach and I'm researching how to repair it/are the parts available/who can do the work.
I'm stationary in the Denver area until early April when I would like to get this fixed before traveling.
I know that I can use the manual brake by pushing the pedal down but it has stuck in the past so in my last trip, I put a tire in a pothole, turned the tire into a curb, or got help from a bystander to chock the wheels.
My mechanic in Ohio fixed the parking brake but couldn't find a new part so I'm still reluctant to use it.
I've tried searching this forum for posts on this issue but got zero results.
Can you please give me some ideas as to how to get this resolved? Thank you very much!

Basically it's a transmission problem and a transmission shop will be your best bet for help.
If you are a DIY'er who doesn't mind crawling under, there's a couple of things you can do.
Put in Park and crawl under. Look for where the shifter cable attaches to the shift lever on the driver's side of the transmission. Push the lever forward and see if it "clicks" into Park. If so, the the cable is out of of adjustment or worn somehow and the transmission is OK. With a practiced strong thumb this is usually pretty easy. If you can't tell, use a regular screwdriver to pop the shifter cable off and work the shifter by hand. Work the shifter all the way to the rear, into "1". Then all the way up to Park at the front. Hold the cable up to it, if you would have to move the shifter or cable much at all to put the cable then you can assume there's a cable issue.
If you can determine during that stuff that you, the shifter, the cable, and the shifter are are in fact putting the transmission but it's just not holding the coach then you have to have a look inside the pan next.
Here's a picture I just took of the transmission shift lever that I have popped the cable off. I have put the shifter into the all the way forward and Park. And yes, by some pure coincidence I happen to be under a truck with the same 4L80E as your RV. Weird, huh?
IMAG1718-1.jpg

Latest resources

Back