RV Length
43 ft
Chassis
Roadmaster RR10S
Engine
Cummins 400 ISL
TOW/TOAD
2010 Ext. Cab Silverado 4x4
It's bothered me for the year that I've owned this Monaco Camelot that I didn't have any spare keys. Only one ignition key, one deadbolt key. I guard them like they're my first born. Kept thinking about it but never got any made, not sure how easy it is to get a gm pattern ignition key made. At least it looks just like a gm pattern key.

I'm in the engine bay measuring the big canister air filter, got my light hanging in there. I've got all the cross match numbers but before I spend that money I want to make sure. I get done and shine the light all around the engine bay high and low looking at stuff.
There hangs a set of keys about 6 ft off the ground. By the air intake pipe that goes up near the roof. I unclasp them and it's ignition, deadbolt, and basement keys. SCORE! They were filthy and tarnished, I brought them home and soaked them in vinegar for a few hours.

Great hiding place so long as the clasp didn't break and they ended up on the road somewhere.

Great find - someone was thinking because its never fun to be locked out. I actually locked myself out of my old class C on a ferry. Needless to say I was scrambling since of course I had to be ready to move, with all the vehicles behind me, when the thing docked. I pulled a five gallon bucket, used it as a step, forced the drivers window, and dove in to recover the keys. But I was a little worried for a few minutes while I figured out what to do. After that? I hid a set of keys next to the propane tank where I could get to them in an emergency, which this seemed to be at the time. Now Im spoiled with a key pad, and I used my old employee ID number for a combo, which I’ll probably still remember after I’ve forgotten my name, so I can get in at any time. One less thing to worry about.

We were doing a job insulating pipes on a pipe rack running through the rec yard of the Max Security prison at Jefferson City Mo.
We had a 40 ft manlift that wouldn't start and I pulled my 1984 chevy company truck up to it to jump it. Left it running so I'd get more juice and since it was the rules I unconsciously locked and shut the door. OH NO. Got a guard to call the locksmith. While waiting I went into the power plant and they gave me a coat hanger and I went to opening it myself. Black con trustee came up and said I can get in it, that's what I'm in here for. He messed with it for 15 minutes and I said Get out of the way and let me try it. He says Man it's been 10 years, that's how long I been in here.

I got it open before the locksmith got there.

I have one of these in the gen compartment, had to install a clasp with ring to attach it to, not hard, but same situation. I know I can reach under the gen compartment to unlock the gen door, spring release. Good to have a plan. For those with Newmar's, ACE hardware (Nappanee) does the trimark keys, if they don't have the blanks Newmar parts may have them.

lockbox.png

Latest resources

Back