• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Spare Tire

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Just bought a wheel on amazon about 100 bucks and a front mount receiver and tire mount spent around 350 so far all I need is a tire. Should be around 500 for everything. After a trip through the blue ridge mountains I do not want to be with out a spare ready to go. Now to practice changing that thing. Bottle jack, tire iron, cheater pipe and 2x6 ready to go.

Can you share with us where to find a rebuilt rim for the E450? I've been looking for a spare too. Ford wants over $600 for OEM spare for my 2021 chassis. I ordered one of the Chinese aftermarket rims for $100 and sent it back because it rubs on the caliper.
So the original e450 rim part number is 8c2z-1015-g. I had a rough time finding this number so verify it is what is on your coach. With this number its relatively easy to find after market rims for the $100 price. I bought the same tire as on my coach and assembled it in my garage. Its not balanced but just needs to get me to the next stop for a true repair. This is an emergency middle of nowhere situation for me. I carry plugs so a nail would get pulled and plugged but a destroyed tire is different.

Just bought a wheel on amazon about 100 bucks and a front mount receiver and tire mount spent around 350 so far all I need is a tire. Should be around 500 for everything. After a trip through the blue ridge mountains I do not want to be with out a spare ready to go. Now to practice changing that thing. Bottle jack, tire iron, cheater pipe and 2x6 ready to go.
Bherron1, I would like to know how your test went. I picked up a torque multiplier tool to simplify removal but really don't want to have to remove it and put it back on lol

Got a new Hancook tire 160 bucks to match and installed on the front tire carrier worked perfect. That adds more weight up front where its needed. Used the bottle jack and did a test change. Whew thats a job but doable. Did notice I need a flat piece of steel under the bottle jack so it want bog down in soft soil or tip. The lug nuts I took off with the lug wrench no cheater bar or pipe needed but they are clean and new. Not to bad, peace of mind that we want get stranded. Dont count on road service I did road service for three years. Many things can happen that will keep you from getting road service at any time. Items used Drawtight front receiver, universal front tire mount and hitch derattler from e trailer. Wheel from amazon by the name of road something bout 100 bucks listed to fit E350 not 450. Its very close to brake caliper but dont touch. E450 caliper may be larger and touch wheel. Somebody will have to try it on a 450. Dropping front tire pressure from 80 to 75 and that little weight on the front helps the loose steering. Thats all I have done so far. I could live with it like it is but the wind and big trucks are still a pain. I may try air bags next to lift the rear about two inches soften the ride in the back and hopefully add a little more weight on the front not sure.

Wheel from amazon by the name of road something bout 100 bucks listed to fit E350 not 450. Its very close to brake caliper but dont touch. E450 caliper may be larger and touch wheel. Somebody will have to try it on a 450.
If the wheel you bought on Amazon is from Road Ready wheels, I did try it on my 2021 E450. It rubs the caliper. Sent it back for refund.

Thanks for the update bherron. Sounds like your test went well.
Btim, I have heard the same thing about Road Ready and I contacted them directly. They told me their tires would NOT fit my needs. I read around 30 reports and these came back 50/50 with the rub complaint. I figure my luck, mine would.
Not all coaches are the same so Bherron may have a wheel that works on that coach. Now here it is my scary answer of what I bought and remember, my spare is emergency only. I bought a manufacturers original tire with part #8c2z-1015-g. I paid $111 on ebay but it is a remanufactured rim. It has held 80psi for the last 2 months so I am happy. As it is the exact part # of my original rim I am not worried about caliper rub which I read as a common problem for my coach.

Update do not use wood to set a bottle jack on, it will split drop the motor home and kill you. That came from my 2nd test change. Got a safe jack with the bottom steel plate that locks in the larger steel plate to stop jack from sinking or tipping. Much better. 6 ton works 12 ton works better when I laying on the ground looking at what might kill me. One thing on a c class you need a shorty bottle jack less than 7 inches tall to get under the axle. My 6 and 12 ton are 9 inches compressed to tall.

Latest resources

Back