Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Toopooped

RVF Newbee
Hello all, I hope someone has some experience with this. I have a 2020 Thor Four Winds.
I have a surge protector on my 30amp line and when I plug the surge protector into shore
power it pops and sparks alittle....I have tried it with both main power off and on makes no difference.
It does not effect the coach at all?? But has me worried on some underlying condition.

Are you saying that you get the sparks even when the main breaker in the park pedestal is turned off? I can't imagine how that could happen If the power source is turned off. It takes electricity to make sparks and, if the power source is turned off, there shouldn't be any.

The breaker in the park power pedestal should always be in the OFF position when you plug your surge suppressor,RV power cord in. That is to prevent what you are describing. Are you sure you are turning off the correct breaker in the power pedestal?

TJ

Are you saying that you get the sparks even when the main breaker in the park pedestal is turned off? I can't imagine how that could happen If the power source is turned off. It takes electricity to make sparks and, if the power source is turned off, there shouldn't be any.

The breaker in the park power pedestal should always be in the OFF position when you plug your surge suppressor,RV power cord in. That is to prevent what you are describing. Are you sure you are turning off the correct breaker in the power pedestal?

TJ
So on all occasions it has been at home or at our friends house we travel to. So should we turn off the house breaker then plug in then turn the house breaker back on...

So on all occasions it has been at home or at our friends house we travel to. So should we turn off the house breaker then plug in then turn the house breaker back on...
Ahaaa! That information makes a big difference. You are plugging into a residential outlet when this occurs.

It would still be best to turn off the breaker that controls the circuit you are plugging into. Otherwise, you will have to put up with the sparking. What is happening is that you are plugging a reasonably heavy electrical load into the circuit and as the plug meets the electrical contacts in the receptacle, you get sparking until the contacts mesh enough to carry the load. You could help this situation a bit by turning off as many electrical loads in the coach as possible; ac, water heater, furnace, refrigerator/freezer, etc. By reducing the load, the sparking should be significantly reduced.

Overall, the sparking likely won't be a big problem, but it is not a recommended practice. Over time it will pit and roughen the plug/receptacle contacts. The reason it isn't a problem when the breaker closes is that the contacts are larger and close instantaneously. That said, over time even breaker contacts can pit.

Good luck.

TJ

Last edited:
I agree with him. :rolleyes:

Latest resources

Back