Chassis
Spartan K2
Engine
Cummins ISL9
TOW/TOAD
2023 GMC Sierra
Fulltimer
Yes
Last week I had annual service at Spartan in Charlotte, Mi. which included fuel filter change. Service was completed Friday afternoon and we decided to stay there until Sunday when we could check in for Newmar service at the mothership.

So Sunday morning go to start engine and it immediately shutoff. Thinking it might be air in fuel system, cycled the key on for 10 seconds then off repeating this sequence 2-3 times and attempted to start with success. I then go visually to check filter only to find it leaking fuel. After shutting engine off I check for loose filter, nope it was tight. Called customer service, left message and got a return call about an hour later. While I was waiting I decided to change filter since I had a spare, well it takes a 25mm socket I didn’t have?. Off to Advance Auto parts and get required socket, success. This filter is in plastic housing and it is so tight that I am now concerned about the 25mm plastic nut I am cranking on. Spartan calls and says tech is on the, time for me to put my tools away.

Spartan recovers well installing new filter, after removing the old gasket they left in the filter housing, which caused the leaking filter.

Lesson learned be sure to have proper size socket if you carry a spare and remove the old gasket.
799DC9C8-2CB0-421D-A6CD-35BB9A375C55.jpegCC1FF788-24AD-4FDA-83B3-D7B9E154DFA4.jpeg

Glad you got it fixed up. I know with my aircraft oil filter there is a torque required. Do you know of a torque value vs. just getting a socket and cranking on it? Have a torque wrench for it?

25ft lbs but I tell you it was more than that. I think they originally cranked down pretty tight thinking they stopped it leaking.

Last week I had annual service at Spartan in Charlotte, Mi. which included fuel filter change. Service was completed Friday afternoon and we decided to stay there until Sunday when we could check in for Newmar service at the mothership.

So Sunday morning go to start engine and it immediately shutoff. Thinking it might be air in fuel system, cycled the key on for 10 seconds then off repeating this sequence 2-3 times and attempted to start with success. I then go visually to check filter only to find it leaking fuel. After shutting engine off I check for loose filter, nope it was tight. Called customer service, left message and got a return call about an hour later. While I was waiting I decided to change filter since I had a spare, well it takes a 25mm socket I didn’t have?. Off to Advance Auto parts and get required socket, success. This filter is in plastic housing and it is so tight that I am now concerned about the 25mm plastic nut I am cranking on. Spartan calls and says tech is on the, time for me to put my tools away.

Spartan recovers well installing new filter, after removing the old gasket they left in the filter housing, which caused the leaking filter.

Lesson learned be sure to have proper size socket if you carry a spare and remove the old gasket.
View attachment 8812View attachment 8813
Shows how hard it is to get good quality workers these days no matter where you live/work. A leak like that should have been easily caught by a competent tech.

Latest resources

Back