• Commercial/Vendors welcome

SRW vs DRW Help!

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
pay extra for the Aisen transmission. They are almost bullet proof.
Thanks for that info, I have been wondering about the 6 speed.

Thanks for that info, I have been wondering about the 6 speed.
I put the Aisen transmission in ALL the 3500/4500/5500 Ram Commercial chassis that I sell. The Aisen is as good as the Allison Automatic and I used to sell about 3000 Allison Transmissions a year into the towing industry in International and F650/750 chassis. If those tow truck drivers can't tear them up NOBODY can! :ROFLMAO:

Ok, have a question. Purchasing a 3021 Laramie dwd. Highoutut, Asin, 3:73 not 4:10. When I Vin it, it says it will pull around 32000 is that correct? I thought I over sized my truck, but know am in question. 3712 kb Alpine about 16000 pounds empty, around 2000 pounds hitch if I am correct. Best hitch recommendation, do I need to bag it? Thanks

Several years ago I pulled two different fivers (38' and 39'). I had a 2012 F350 SRW with the 6.7 diesel and 3.55 gear. It towed great but being full time I had around 2,000 pounds of extra "stuff" on board so my tongue weight was maxed. I installed Firestone air bags on the rear of the F350 to level out but I still worried about my weights constantly.

Fast forward to a few months ago purchasing a new 44' fiver. My tongue was probably going to be between 3,300 and 3,800 or more. I gave up on even looking at anything in SRW. Ended up with a F350 dually with max tow package so my tongue can go to 6,000 pounds and I still won't be over. Also made sure I was getting the 4.10 gear and 48 gallon fuel tank.

Just a side note, new Ford Super Duty trucks have 10 speed trannys now. Pretty sweet.

Thanks, can barely find a truck they are selling before they hit the lots. A little concerned it's not 4:10 gears and has the 3.73

The 3.73 gear would still be better than the 3.55 gear IMHO. Actually you might get slightly better MPG with that 3.73 gear when not towing, depending on how you drive.

I feel your pain on locating the truck. I extended my dealer search radius out to 150 miles (central Florida). I was worried because once my Newmar sold and we located the fiver we wanted I knew I had to get the truck purchased (full timers). I certainly did not want to get stuck living in a motel for a month or two just because I couldn't find a truck.

I hit it just right and a dealer about 70 miles away had just gotten three F350 DRW units in that week. They were all equipped the exact same with the 8' bed and SRX package (no carpet). It was the perfect equipment package for what I needed.

@"EZ" I have ordered a 2021 ram 3500 DRW with the ho cummins. I have been reading and it appears as 2021 rams have reverted to the older style fuel injector pump (cp3) that are more reliable than the cp4 used in 2020 and prior? Can you confirm?

I pull heavy horse trailers and soon a 4 car hauler for our jeep adventures. I have owned chevy 3/4tons since 2003. The 2003 duramax had terrible Bosch injectors, but the 2013 has been flawless. The only reason I am getting the drw is the weight of the trailers is too much for my srw.

The reason for the Ram is I hate the GM interior that's available now, and refuse to have an aluminum bed.

I didn't opt to get the Mopar gooseneck, as I prefer the B&W setup. It means I lose that fancy in bed factory connector, but I have never used a 4 pin in the bed, so I don't think it's a huge loss. The factory ball does not allow you to flip the ball upside down and leave it in place. That's a feature I've used for 25years, and can't imagine changing.

Last edited:

Finally getting closure, have a 2021 3712 kb Alpine. Closing on a 2021 Laramie, dwd high output after they spray the bedli er and put running boards on. Gave the air level system up and 4:10, went with 3.73 hope it doesn't bite me in the but. Now I need a hitch. They might have a Mopar 30000 pounds hitch a couple years old that was never used, but dont know anything about them (comments). Looking at trail savers, but checkbook went into lockdown mode after these two purchases.

Latest resources

Back