• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

BrianG

RVF Newbee
Hello.
My father has a 2012 (or 2013, I can't remember exactly) Starcraft 186RD hybrid camper that he has offered to let my family use. He bought the camper new and used up until my mother passed about 5 years ago. The camper has been sitting since.
I have started the process of going through the systems and assessing what needs to be done. The biggest issue that I have encountered is a strange electrical issue. The 12 volt items don't seem to be working on shore power or with a battery. The 110 volt appliances seem to be working as well as the 110 volt outlets. My first thought was the converter is bad and not allowing the 12 volts to pass through. But, here's where the story gets wierd for me, while we were in the process of trying to make the 12 volt system work, my brother was adjusting the fan speed on the air conditioner and caused the 12 volt lights to momentarily come on. He was able to repeat this a few times. Each time, the lights would come on for about 5 seconds and the AC fan would slow down. By the way, the AC is a roof top unit with rotary switches and runs off of 110 volts. At that point, it was getting late and I needed to leave. I was also concerned that continuing this would cause damage or release the magic smoke.
My theory is that maybe there is a bad neutral on the AC side and the 12 volt converter is starving for power. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Brian

A multi meter is nessisary,do you have one?

A multi meter is nessisary,do you have
The first time I looked at it, i had one with me. At that time, I thought it was just a bad battery. I did check the fuses on the DC side and they were all good. The last time I was there on Saturday, I was there to clean some mildew stains on the front bunk and had forgotten the meter.

The first time I looked at it, i had one with me. At that time, I thought it was just a bad battery. I did check the fuses on the DC side and they were all good. The last time I was there on Saturday, I was there to clean some mildew stains on the front bunk and had forgotten the meter.
I have stated I can see the flow! But that is not really the case. I have the intuitive ability to fish in the right hole! I feel like I would be like a fisherman without a rod at that hole, if I didn't have the equipment to do anything about it. So put more simply! Don't forget the meter!

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back