Chassis
Freightliner XCR
Engine
Cummins 400 HP
TOW/TOAD
2017 Chevy Colorado
Fulltimer
No
Looks like Starlink is going to want more money if you travel (roam) with their setup. Looks like a $25/month to use the service away from your home address. For anyone that "needs" service such as this I think it's within the budget. For me though, my Pepwave setup suffices and I'm pleased with the connectivity. I've never been without cellular connectivity since getting my first Pepwave in the fall of 2018.

Was considering a switch to Starlink, but after the recent $10 increase and now this $25 extra charge … going to stick with the Pepwave (Tmobile and ATT) and have Verizon on cell hot spot as backup.

Hate to admit it, but having the Pepwave is a better solution for us vs Starlink. The gizmo guy in me really wanted Starlink, but not going to happen now.

I have starlink, but not sure I will keep it. My peplink works very well.

For those of us still not invested in a cell antenna, modem and router. Which way would the experienced users advise us to go? Starlink or cell?

I have no experience with Starlink and cancelled my order months ago so I can't speak for Starlink.

My advice is spend a little more to get something good that will last several years ahead just as if you were buying a computer, get a little more to buy time in the future. My opinion that means a cellular modem with a CAT 18 or higher modem. I would personally also suggest a 5G modem, whether you have a 5G plan or not, you may in the future. The paddle antennas on these devices are typically sufficient, but if you want something on the roof at least for cellular, I recommend either a Parsec or Pepwave antenna. Make sure whatever external antenna you buy, should you want one, is 5G compatible. CAT 18 or higher modems are going to have 4 cellular nodes called 4 x 4 MIMO. My Pepwave of choice as of this moment in time is the Pepwave BR1 Pro 5G. It also has Wi-Fi 6 which is the newer Wi-Fi tech (and 6E is the most recent) which I would recommend. But Wi-Fi is not a critical part of the cellular modem setup as you can add a separate Wi-Fi setup but that will typically add cost. It is easier to have a cellular modem and Wi-Fi all in one but it's not the end of the world, most of us have separate dedicated Wi-Fi routers in our homes.

For those of us still not invested in a cell antenna, modem and router. Which way would the experienced users advise us to go? Starlink or cell?
Randy,
An interesting question & there are most likely as many responses as there are people. I'll start my response by suggesting you assess your internet connectivity needs, how often & where you travel & how much you are willing to spend.
An ideal solution, from my perspective, is one that will allow you to take advantage of every signal that is available;
cellular, land line cable, WiFi & satellite.
I am not convinced, in my case, 5G cellular is worth the $300.00 (approximate) premium for the 5G modem at this point in time. Instead, I have gone with the Peplink MAX BR1 PRO 4G. The same basic device Neal is using, but with a CAT-20 4G modem in lieu of a CAT-20 5G modem.
We also have a Stralink Dishy we intend to integrate into our network to see if it will be reliable enough to eliminate one of our cellular data plans.
Sadly, I am not fortunate enough to have one of the 'grandfathered unlimited data plans' so my expense for cellular data for my primary line is comparable to what I will be paying for Stalink. Your cost for data, be it cellular or satellite should be factored into your cost.
So my response to your question, get the best of both worlds; cellular & Starlink. Go with a 4G CAT-20 modem (savings of approx $300.00), use the provided paddle antennas (saving approximately $300.00 - $500.00 over an external antenna) & spring for the Starlink. I suspect your initial expenses for hardware will be about the same. Depending on your cellular data plans, you could come out slightly ahead or behind.
Just my $0.02 worth, it's an option to consider.

OK..... time to put my money where my mouth is.
My long time AT&T reseller seems to be having some issues. It's been a good run, but, I question his on going viability & a 33% monthly increase for what I initially signed up for sort of rubs me the wrong way.
I'm giving serious consideration to jumping on the Starlink bandwagon.
We presently have Starlink installed at the home/office (my son's business) & have been very pleased with it so far. So much so we have eliminated one of our more expensive cellular data plans for our Peplink fail over device.
As with all satellite setups, an unobstructed view of the sky is required. That would suggest a Dishy install would necessitate it being installed on something which allows it to be placed where that 'unobstructed view' can be attained. In my mind that would eliminate any set up that would be attached, permanently or other wise to the RV.
I'm thinking along the lines of a portable tripod (ideally fiberglass or composite) which would provide for the mounting of the the Dishy pole. I've seen some surveying tripods which would seem to meet that requirement, but, obtaining specs on them to ascertain how a pole might be adapted is tough to come by.
A few questions:
Has anyone gone this route? If so, what tripod(s) did you use?​
What, if anything, do you use to protect the set up from a lightning strike?​
I'm also open to alternative suggestions that allow for the placement of the Dishy as long as it can be moved & stored when relocating.
Thanks in advance.

Sell it to me.
It won't work if your area is on back order. Already attempted to transfer to another person who was waiting.

Latest resources

Back