Chassis
Prevost
Engine
Volvo D13
TOW/TOAD
2023 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Fulltimer
No
I have a gen 3 dish that we are going to put up on the roof and today I watched a video from mobilemusthave and they say in the video it has to be facing north to work properly. So then I inquired about swapping it out for the in motion dish at starlink. I am waiting for starlink support to respond but I also found out you can’t use the roam plan with the in motion dish. You havre to use mobile priority or higher.

To use Starlink in motion, you need a Mobile Priority service plan, which is available for "Boats", "Mobility", and "Maritime". Standard and Priority service plans do not support in-motion use. If you're looking to exchange your dish for in-motion use, the Flat High Performance Starlink Kit is designed for this purpose and is recommended for use with the Mobile Priority service. Please note that the availability of the Flat High Performance Starlink Kit may vary by region.

I have never heard of the flat high performance starlink kit. Is anyone familiar with it?

Has anyone put the gen 3 up on the roof? Any issues?

WOW!! And I thought "STARLINK" was complicated before your post!o_O
Now I know it's too complicated for a non technology educated ol man like me!:oops:
Guess I'll have to keep using my Verizon "hotspot", until they "dumb it down" enough for me to comprehend!!;)
I sure am glad you folks on here are so smart, and I can utilize your knowledge! THANKS!!:cool:

It appears that Starlink is offering several different levels of access. In the mobile category best for RV is approx. $150/mo with ability to pause at will.
The hardware comes in several choices as well for now. The "commercial" antenna which is designed for high band with and mobile applications is relatively pricey at $2500 and comes with for now the V2 router, the V2 antenna and router as long as inventory lasts and the $599 kit which comes with a V3 router and a manual setup "kick stand" antenna.

(edit) Looking at the current offerings, looks like we will wait a bit more before we get Starlink mobile.. I'd like the fixed antenna option rather than the kick stand model, but $250/mo is a bit too much for our current use.

starlink prices.jpg

Starlink | Roam

What starlink support is saying is you can’t use the mobile roam plan with the flat high performance dish. You have to use a mobile priority plan which starts at 250/mo and goes up. That is contradictory to what I have read either here or elsewhere. The difference might be a true “in motion” plan definition versus stationary mobile plan definition. I don’t need true “in motion”. So if I can use the high performance flat dish with the stationary mobile plan I am good to go. I’ll exchange the dish and be on my way.

What is your need for Internet "in motion"?

I don’t have a need for in motion. That’s where I think the hang up is. If you want true in motion you need the mobile priority plan. Otherwise you should be able to use the roam plan with the high performance dish aka in motion dish when it is stationary. That’s what I am trying to confirm.

I would try just setting your Dishy 3 on the roof in a mock test setup and see how it works. My hunch is it will work fine. Having something pointed North...that's the first I've heard but I'm no expert and I still have a broken functional dishy 2 which self-aligns and works fine, as long as the sun is out :)

I have a good deal on a gen 3 meester Neal. Just for you. Venmo and Zelle accepted.

I love a great deal. Check your phone, $25 sent!

What is your need for Internet "in motion"?
Don’t need it, but internet phone in bad reception areas would be the only real benefit to me

Latest resources

Back