Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

RickHargrave

RVF Newbee
We are a family of 6 and are in the final stages of getting our new Class A motor home. We are planning to take a 3 week trip next month and am looking for recommendations and things others have learned when taking a long trip. We live in MD and will be traveling to Calif then back. What are the must see places? Do I need to join any organizations or groups? We are first timers so any advise or recommendations are welcome! Thank you for your time and we are so looking forward to many adventures ahead.

Welcome @RickHargrave - you've landed at a great place for questions and learning as this is a super friendly and knowledgeable group. RVing is awesome, I started out 3 years ago and my first real camping trip was from Virginia to a 34 day caravan with other RVers on an organized trip starting in Colorado Springs and ending up at Mt. Rushmore in SD. My first advice is baby steps, you can get overwhelmed quickly and spend a lot and buy things you don't need (Oh I can't wait for the pouncing for that one) and buy what you need as you need it. Amazon delivers to Campgrounds so if you don't have Prime ya better get it now :) There are apps to help you find campgrounds, there are discussions on this site about it, I use AllStays Pro (subscription) and RV Trip Wizard. You'll want to consider insurance type memberships first such as I use Coach-net but whatever roadside assistance you prefer and hopefully never needed. There are tons of groups you'll learn about and join as you desire. Again, don't get overwhelmed, break your questions up into small topics on this site in the appropriate forum and start absorbing. There are no dumb questions and there is no such thing as too many questions so ask away.

Welcome aboard and welcome to the amazing RV Lifestyle.

Welcome to The Club.
when we got our Class A, it was our first, but I had 20 years experience in boating and boat repair and service. Even than we took few short trips to get to know the coach, before going on longer, out of state trips.
You as a total newby going on transcontinental trip in a unfamiliar coach? It will be an exciting experience.

Plan ahead where are you going to overnight. Phone and book RV Park spot ahead. Don’t expect to just show up and get a spot.
Get the Motor Carriers Road Atlas And stay on the truck routes. If 18 wheelers can go, you can go there too.
Other people here will help you choose, apps for your phone etc.
Good Luck, and hope you have a nice trip.

Congratulations! We consider ourselves lucky as we have never had any of those "problems" that RV owners have that you read about often.
But, we have never bought a brand new one off the lot either.
On our 3rd RV and second motorhome and have weekend/week long camped for many years. Envious of the full timers and your upcoming cross country trip. We are still waiting to get rid of the jobs thing.
Good luck and safe travels to you.

First, @RickHargrave, welcome to RVF. We are glad to have you here. The previous posters have all offered excellent pieces of advice. All I can add is don't get overwhelmed by what seems like a flood of information coming your way. Take your time and sort things out bit-by-bit.

"Eat the elephant one bite at a time" as the old saying goes. And, we'll be here to make the bites as small and easy to chew as possible. ;)

TJ

Latest resources

Back