Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

FYI Starting procedure for your Cummins engine...

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
My ranch tractors had glow plugs and I either waited for the lite to go out or I waited longer for it to start.

I don't think we have glow plugs on Cummins but rather a preheater. That is why Cummins says to never use any kind of starting fluid.

I have to agree, the glow plug (or some call it wait to start) light seems the only real thing to wait on. Even me parking, waiting for that light just to reverse into my spot seemed like forever. Maybe leaving for a trip I'll do this but when it comes to within the campground, likely not. It is forever + 2 minutes.

I have to agree, the glow plug (or some call it wait to start) light seems the only real thing to wait on. Even me parking, waiting for that light just to reverse into my spot seemed like forever. Maybe leaving for a trip I'll do this but when it comes to within the campground, likely not. It is forever + 2 minutes.
That just doesn’t sound right, 2+ minutes. All my dash lights go out in under 15 seconds from key turn.

That just doesn’t sound right, 2+ minutes. All my dash lights go out in under 15 seconds from key turn.
No, it's forever + 2 minutes

Actual and what it feels like are very very different.

I'm with Neil, 2+ minutes plus a few more hours. When I sit down in the driver's seat, I turn the key to go not wait.

I need to time it, it's not that long, probably 20-30 seconds in total, if even that long. I'm fine with it when hitting the road but moving into the site, or checking in, ugh, we'll see.

Well, I'm doing it but I don't like doing it.

Yeah, 12 seconds is longer than most of us think before we post on this forum, starting with me!

For the last year and a half I have been doing pretty good waiting until "wait to start" went out. Now you all throw in the yellow engine light. :) I have never timed it, but sometimes it seems like it is much longer than others.

I am with Neal on this.
When you are parking in the campground, being the center of attention to the audience sitting in their chairs all around, when you sit back in your drivers seat to make the next move —20 seconds of silence with no movement is an eternity/forever.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back