• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Tip Starting the engine before raising the jacks

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Interesting here at The Mothership the tech started the engine prior to (edit) retracting the jacks. When I discussed the air bags popping when settling into position after coming off jacks, he said that is why he starts the engine before lowering the jacks.
Starting the engine and letting the airbags inflate some keeps the airbags from popping.

Last edited:
I'm confused on the sequence, if I put my jacks down it auto dumps the air, so I can't put slides out a ride height, what am I missing? I've always put slides out, then jacks down

If you put the jacks down manually the bags will not dump unless you manually dump the bags. If you choose auto level the bags will dump prior to jacks going down.

Is it maybe start before raising the jacks and not start before lowering?

My mistake for the confusion. Edit statement to say retracting jacks.
With the bags fully deflated the bags are bunched up. In this configuration the mounting plate maybe slightly askew.
Hence when they finally take a set, many times it is with a sharp pop or crack noise. Sounds like a rifle shot to me. Very alarming.
The techs comment is when this happens in the shop with all its hard surfaces, it is quite loud.

Last edited:
While I was on the phone with Freightliner the subject of when to raise the jacks came up. We have discussed the sequence of slides to jacks but not engine. They suggested starting the engine before raising the jacks. His explanation ... by starting the engine first ... it fills up the air tanks. With the air tanks filled, when the jacks come up the air bags/suspension will fill up faster. I have started to do that and Im really surprised how much faster it is.
I can run my levelers without the engine both on extend and retract. The leveler system lowers airbags prior to leveling. I have always felt that the jacks should be down and rig level prior to running out any slides. Just my reasoning and how I do it. I am no saying others are wrong by any means. This reduces the amount of available twist on the chassis as it takes the suspension out of it. Also very hard on the leveling system to have the slides our and then run the levelers.

Interesting... I start the engine and almost immediate pull up the jacks, but have not heard any noises. I know if I wait too long to pull the jacks up, I will start to hear the air escaping from the system as lets the air out of the bags even as it is trying to fill them up....so I feel I need to pull the jacks up pretty quickly otherwise the bags will never fill. Pulling them up "closes" up the dump valves so the bags can be filled. At least on my unit..

Or am I missing something?

Latest resources

Back