• Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Status
Not open for further replies.

CaptainGizmo

RVF Expert
SoCal...relax, we're one of the good ones! ;-)
RV Year
RV Make
Newell
RV Model
2020P
RV Length
TOW/TOAD
2017 Ford F-150 Raptor w/AF1 Braking
Fulltimer
No
Ok, let me kick this topic off with my "READERS DIGEST" version of the state of the union in regards to AT&T's Connected Car Plan.

In short, it's a rolling disaster, and here's why...

1. You'll get the WORST run-around, should you need to contact customer support; and YOU WILL! They have a SEPARATE number for the Connected Car Plans (CCP), which is: 866-595-1222.
  2. Their CCP reps are pretty much CLUELESS of this plan, what the devices are (ie. SPARK vs. MOBLEY vs. TOGO), what an RV is, and where to point you. In fact, the last rep told me to call another number, "specifically to help me with my RV". I looked it up...and it's the TOGO ROADLINK phone number!
  3. Their website, even though it has a PICTURE OF AN RV on it, has not a single RV manufacturer in their "Makers" list; they're all Auto-makers!
  4. The SPARK device, which I used to set up and account, MUST BE TIED TO A VIN of a "QUALIFIED VEHICLE". Once you move it, OR IT'S SIM, to another vehicle that AT&T doesn't recognize, THEY WILL CANCEL YOUR SERVICE. That's what happened to me. It's not a 100% sure thing, but most likely, they'll catch up to you.
  5. Their terms of service are starting to become CLEARER on the restrictions, throttling, etc. with regards to "Mobile Hotspot" usages. In fact, one fo their plans for "Bring your own", clearly states PROHIBITED FOR MOBILE HOTSPOT USE!
  6. And, speaking the "BYO" Pre-paid plans...OY OY OY...there are a TON of them! You can start out at "by the minute", then graduated up to 8GB...and up. But, you'll find that they ALL have caps. For example, their TOP OF THE LINE plan is $75, yet has the following cap: "10GB mobile hotspot. After 10GB, hotspot speed limited to maximum of 128Kpbs."
  7. These plans seem to change EVERY DAY. Here you go:
  8. If you try to get to their Connected RV plans, you'll find yourself in a stuck hole to TOGO Roadlink, and end up having to set up an account before going further. Here's the link for example: Togo Roadlink RV Wi-Fi Hotspot - AT&T
Screen Shot 2019-11-03 at 10.43.12 AM.png

So, while you can see these plans for $360 a year or even $65/month, it's just not that simple. You've got limitations, restrictions, etc. etc. etc.

Again, one VERY important factor to remember, is that the plans we're referring to, are considered PRE-PAID plans, which means you pay up front on a month by month basis and can cancel at any time. AS such, AT&T treats you like Whale-poop...the lowest in the ocean. By this, I'm talking about the DE-PRIORITIZING of your service. When you put these SIMS into a device that either they see as a Hotspot, or even worse, don't recognize, you will be subject to degraded speeds or even caps!

Most folks who have had limited success, have had plans that are attached to an existing phone service, considered "Post-Paid", and are treated a bit better. Just like with my T-Mobile Tablet add-on, I can get much better speeds and a price that's not too bad; around $35/month.

But, when I comes to slapping that pre-paid AT&T SIM card into your PepWave...all bets are off, and your sailing uncharted territory. As of now, AT&T has no concept of "In-Car" vs. "In-RV", nor do they know that a "Mobile Hotspot" they sell is no different than a "PepWave" router. Until then, be prepared to have some long calls and/or frustrating moments of far less than satisfying service.

After purchasing a SIM card from an AT&T Wichita Falls store, I spent, literally, hours trying to get the Wichita Falls store to sell me a Data plan for the PepWave, to no avail. Somehow the store internet connection to Corporate had gone down. They finally referred me to the self service Internet portal.
After five days of attempts to get the AT&T website to recognize the SIM card and many many calls to AT&T customer "service", still no luck. I finally gave up. The AT&T SIM card was going to be a spare second data source for the PepWave. My existing VZN SIM card ended up working throughout the Southwest.
The AT&T data plans, as noted above, do not appear very appealing.

Joe. As of now, it’s hopeless to even attempt to get a SIM for a PepWave...for many reasons. Primarily, they have no clue.

Now, IF...you wanna fork over a wad of money, you CAN buy their top tier BYO “HOTSPOT DATA PLAN”. Just be sitting down when you do so.

And, as I’ve said...MAKE SIRE YOU READ ALL OF THE FINE PRINT!!!!! Some of their “unlimited” BYO plans specifically say NOT FOR HOTSPOT use; and the really fine print wants you about throttling.

And finally, another deceitful AT&T marketing practice is that, while they advertise the plan as “Unlimited”, what they actually provide is pathetic if you pass their “Cap”! It would be like the water company saying they’ll give you all the water you want...1 drop at a time...useless!!

Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

While I've only heard of one case where the connected car plan (Spark) got shut down, ehemm, up arrow one post, I personally would still sign up for it and try it and take the risk, if I didn't already have an unlimited option. Get your spark device which has an eSIM, go to your local AT&T store and have them transfer the line to a sim card and hope for the best.

While I've only heard of one case where the connected car plan (Spark) got shut down, ehemm, up arrow one post, I personally would still sign up for it and try it and take the risk, if I didn't already have an unlimited option. Get your spark device which has an eSIM, go to your local AT&T store and have them transfer the line to a sim card and hope for the best.

Ahem...it’s me. ;-)

FYI...my buddy got the BIG FAIL at the AT$T store this week.

The door of opportunity may have closed for all but the skinniest to sneak through.

FYI...my buddy got the BIG FAIL at the AT$T store this week.

Please elaborate? In getting the line transferred? If so, yes, stores are hit or miss. Get a fail, proceed to next store.

I just signed up for another one 2 weeks ago. Usual routine. It may be different as I am using mobley to associate sims with at the store, but never insert the sim in the mobley. Its first use is in the peplink.

I have done this 5 times now without fail. I am a heavy user and have had no problem
Also, this is a post paid plan, so maybe that helps.

2019 DSDP 4369 * Active Air * NHSO

Please elaborate? In getting the line transferred? If so, yes, stores are hit or miss. Get a fail, proceed to next store.

Neal,

He went in, and the guy was adamant and said no way it could be done. He’s not gonna hassle the BS, since he’s on the FirstNet system and can get a whole lot more help that way.

I just signed up for another one 2 weeks ago. Usual routine. It may be different as I am using mobley to associate sims with at the store, but never insert the sim in the mobley. Its first use is in the peplink.

I have done this 5 times now without fail. I am a heavy user and have had no problem
Also, this is a post paid plan, so maybe that helps.

2019 DSDP 4369 * Active Air * NHSO

Ronnie,

Complete different beast for 2 reasons:

1. With a Mobley, you can swap the SIM without any intervention from the ATT stoops.

2. Pre-paid plan are like an alien to ATT. When you call, they’ll pass you off to a entirely different division and phone number.

There’s more, but I’m having such a good time enjoying my Old Fashioned in Arizona after a long 530 mile day. [emoji106] [emoji483]

Is there a reason you don't just get the mobley?

I know that AT&T no longer sells the hardware, but the hardware is fairly easy to obtain from ebay. Further, all you really need is the IMEI number.

I have 3 physical mobley devices, but 5 separate plans. I setup an account using the IMEI of the mobley, let it go for a full bililng cycle, and confirm that the pepwave IMEI is assoicated with the account, and then purchase a 2nd unit.

For $20/mo this is really a good plan, and fully unlimited.

I use the pepwave for my RV, rental properties, and my workshop. The data is reliable and fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest resources

Back