Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Status
Not open for further replies.
Don’t want the hassle ... AND PAY PREMIUMS for a Mobley off eBay.

OTOH, I guess you can buy Unlimited Plans all over eBay right now. Leftovers from Enterprise installs.

Supposedly legit, but I’m too skeptical.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here is a discussion about the latest Cell plans by some, in my opinion, knowledgeable folks:

Is there a reason you don't just get the mobley?

I know that AT&T no longer sells the hardware, but the hardware is fairly easy to obtain from ebay. Further, all you really need is the IMEI number.

I have 3 physical mobley devices, but 5 separate plans. I setup an account using the IMEI of the mobley, let it go for a full bililng cycle, and confirm that the pepwave IMEI is assoicated with the account, and then purchase a 2nd unit.

For $20/mo this is really a good plan, and fully unlimited.

I use the pepwave for my RV, rental properties, and my workshop. The data is reliable and fast.

Been thinking about this, Ronnnie, and have a couple thoughts.

One, I wonder if the whole “secret to success” is that you’re on a Post-Paid account. Certainly, the support HAS to be better...heck, the pre-paid accounts with ATT and VZ can’t even use their app; despite the support agents telling you so.

Second, in retrospect, I kinda wonder if AT&T did a little “investigating” on my account when I called into them a couple times when it wasn’t working. I’d suspect that a support agent “could” flag the account if they saw things that didn’t add up; such as the PepWave being a foreign hotspot device.

Paying $70 and putting it on the Prepaid plan was a fail. Paying $200+ for a used Mobley may be the only alternative. HOWEVER, I think that going through the process of setting up a standard Post-Paid account, and staying away from the Connected Car Plan, is a better route to take.

In her video above, Cherie talks about that DataConnect PrePaid Tablet plan, in which she’s successfully taken that SIM and put it anywhere...even though this is a breach in their TOS. “Run Silent - Run Deep”, in other words...oh well. LOL

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I do believe postpaid is a key to longevity with AT&T.

I have a business plan with the long gone mobile hot spot plans that were unlimited. I have 4 devices on those, 2 for employees, one for DW and one for me.

When the mobley came out I bought one for each of my stick and bricks as a failover and then another for my rv.

These units get varying degree of usage, from nothing to outright abuse.

So far I have been fortunate.

When getting the Mobley, I created separate accounts for each one. My thought was if one was flagged, I didnt want all the others to suffer.

2019 DSDP 4369 * Active Air * NHSO

I do believe postpaid is a key to longevity with AT&T.

When getting the Mobley, I created separate accounts for each one. My thought was if one was flagged, I didnt want all the others to suffer.

Good idea, and don’t ever call support...at least not when the SIM is in the PEPWAVE! ;-)

I setup an account using the IMEI of the mobley, let it go for a full bililng cycle, and [BOLD]confirm that the pepwave IMEI is assoicated[/BOLD] with the account, and then purchase a 2nd unit.

So, if I’m reading you correctly...

You set the account up with the MOBLEY’s IMEI...and then later CHANGED IT? Hmmm, or did you just swap the SIM, and then go online to see if the PepWave’s IMEI was showing on the account page somehow?

Cuz...I’m wondering if another trick would be to grab one of those corporate leftover plans off eBay and do the same exact thing...sans Mobley.

Here is the process:

* Obtain an IMEI for a Mobley that is not currently activated on plan you own. The key here is when you activate it, AT&T will look for this IMEI being used on another plan. If they find it, they *could* flag it for investigation. I have heard of others getting multiple accounts with a single mobley, only to lose their older accounts due to violation of TOS. I do not have first hand knowledge here, but feel that paying $75-250 per account for the benefit is worth it.

* Mobley's can be obtained from ebay without risk.
* once you have the IMEI, you can then proceed with the next step of registering the plan. You do not need the physical device. Contact the connected car plan group, referencing the FCA discount (see other forums for this info, I don't have the link readily available). Setup the account as post paid, by providing your SSN / TaxId, etc. The discount for autopay should bring the entire bill to less than $25 with taxes.

*Once the plan is activated, you can choose to either have AT&T mail you the sim, or to notate your account that you can pickup a sim for no charge at the AT&T store. I prefer picking up the sim at the store. You walk in, reference your account number and the need for a sim. Explain this is for a connected car plan, so the device is in "your other car" and you just need the sim. They will give you a credit card size plastic sim card. The sim can be removed and has various sizes.

*DO NOT PLACE THIS SIM IN THE MOBLEY EVER - It will become locked to the mobley without the ability to unlock. There are various discussion on obtaining the PUC code, but I have gone down that route so many times and failed that I cannot recommend it.

*place the sim in any hotspot device you desire and enjoy fast, unlimited internet.

Good stuff, Ronnie...I’ll copy these notes for future use.

Thanks for the great detail!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We have a VZN post paid account. Purchased a 8800 Jetpack with data card. Immediately ran into issues with the Jetpack. Once there was a software update to fix issues for the Jetpack, pulled the data card and sold the 8800. Moved the data card to the Pepwave. When it became obvious the VZN was throttling the Card I called CS. Explained that the card was in a Pepwave and the Jetpack 8800 was unreliable. The data card account is part of a three phone unlimited data account, not cheap.
No problems with getting data. Full speed right up to 15G. After 15G it is slow going to month end reset. My cell is truly unlimited so most times I will use the phone to search and download data. Only the TV and Laptop use the RV WiFi.

*place the sim in any hotspot device you desire and enjoy fast, unlimited internet.
Would an example of "any hotspot device" be my iPhone 6?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest resources

Back