Chassis
Freightliner XCR
Engine
Cummins 400 HP
TOW/TOAD
2017 Chevy Colorado
Fulltimer
No
I bought a four pack of really nice NY Strip steaks from Costco not long ago. Put them in food saver sealed bags and last week had the first one which I cooked on the gas grill. Wasn't impressed. Tonight I decided to have another and this time cook on my GMG Daniel Boone pellet grill using searing plates. 7 minutes a side at 450, actually up'd the temp to 500 on the second 7 minutes as they are thick and was concerned of the cook. Let it sit 5-10 minutes and it was phenomenal. Flavor, tenderness, etc.

Pellet grill is the clear winner for me. It's been a while since I used the pellet grill for steaks. Good to see the difference in the two.

That is why I like my Big Green Egg.....But hard to take it with you....sigh....

It's been a while since I used charcoal and will do that next. I've always enjoyed that flavor. The competition will then be charcoal vs. pellet for me :)

I’m partial to reverse-searing on the pellet smoker. Smoke to 115 degrees, then sear to desired temp. Awesome!

I’m partial to reverse-searing on the pellet smoker. Smoke to 115 degrees, then sear to desired temp. Awesome!
Good idea. Think I’ll give that a try. 140-145 final temp seems to be my sweet spot.

The slight smoky flavor from doing the steaks on the pellet grill took that option off the table for me. Wife did not like it 😀 so they get done in the grill.

I’ve had both gas and charcoal over the years. Charcoal definitely wins on flavor. Gas is so nice to have when you need heat right now.
For the past 20 or so years, it’s been all charcoal.

Latest resources

Back