Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

JEdmund

RVF Newbee
I'm embarrassed to say, we have been debating trailer or no for years. We are almost 60 and have never towed much. We had a tent trailer and loved it when the kids were little but it was cheap and just not want we want now. We are empty nesters on the verge of retirement looking for longer trips. We are most interested in a comfortable bed. Preferably a larger frig and I would like an oven but that is not a deal breaker. We want less than 25 ft since we are newbies and quite frankly, a little scared. We have a pretty open budget (new vs used) of less than $20K.

We recently bought a vehicle with plenty of towing ability (2017 Lincoln Navigator) so we finally are serious! It will tow up to 8600-9000 lbs. We are looking at under 5000 lbs.

We recognize that we are always going to have some repair issues. Hubby is not greatly handy but we are smart enough to do small repairs and hire a professional, if necessary. My question is: if you are looking at a used trailer, is there an inspection than we need to have done prior to purchase and who do you have do it? Should we trust the dealership if they are selling the unit? If local, it will be much easier than if bought from a distance. We mostly just don't know how to research what we are buying.

Thanks for the guidance!

Jenny and Chuck

I'm embarrassed to say, we have been debating trailer or no for years. We are almost 60 and have never towed much. We had a tent trailer and loved it when the kids were little but it was cheap and just not want we want now. We are empty nesters on the verge of retirement looking for longer trips. We are most interested in a comfortable bed. Preferably a larger frig and I would like an oven but that is not a deal breaker. We want less than 25 ft since we are newbies and quite frankly, a little scared. We have a pretty open budget (new vs used) of less than $20K.

We recently bought a vehicle with plenty of towing ability (2017 Lincoln Navigator) so we finally are serious! It will tow up to 8600-9000 lbs. We are looking at under 5000 lbs.

We recognize that we are always going to have some repair issues. Hubby is not greatly handy but we are smart enough to do small repairs and hire a professional, if necessary. My question is: if you are looking at a used trailer, is there an inspection than we need to have done prior to purchase and who do you have do it? Should we trust the dealership if they are selling the unit? If local, it will be much easier than if bought from a distance. We mostly just don't know how to research what we are buying.

Thanks for the guidance!

Jenny and Chuck
WELCOME-- in Texas all RV/travel trailers are inspected, like vehicles, however this only pertains to the safety of the vehicle. When we began our search several RV'ers gave us a laundry list of items to watch for(worn floors, leaking lines, roof issues, etc; others recommended having inspected by local dealership if seller is willing. Most are.. We too were interested in travel trailer with an oven and an found the older trailers, less than 26', were few and far between. The newer models have much more variety-- now is a good time to pick up a quality used travel trailer, as folks who 'thought' they'd like it realized it's not for them and are trying to unload them now. the market has 'settled' somewhat from the inventory depletion, due to Covid, but the prices are still up ~20-30% in some places. Best of fortune in your search--

WELCOME-- in Texas all RV/travel trailers are inspected, like vehicles, however this only pertains to the safety of the vehicle. When we began our search several RV'ers gave us a laundry list of items to watch for(worn floors, leaking lines, roof issues, etc; others recommended having inspected by local dealership if seller is willing. Most are.. We too were interested in travel trailer with an oven and an found the older trailers, less than 26', were few and far between. The newer models have much more variety-- now is a good time to pick up a quality used travel trailer, as folks who 'thought' they'd like it realized it's not for them and are trying to unload them now. the market has 'settled' somewhat from the inventory depletion, due to Covid, but the prices are still up ~20-30% in some places. Best of fortune in your search--
This is good info. I have family in TX and have considered checking there and if inspections are done, that makes it all the more appealing. Thank you for taking time out to help.

Jenny and Chuck

Latest resources

Back