• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Stop This!!

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
I thought points and seniority on this forum were acquired for every dollar you manage to make someone else spend. Is that not how it works?

I thought points and seniority on this forum were acquired for every dollar you manage to make someone else spend. Is that not how it works?
Apparently.......
Wife isn't gonna like the credit card bill next month. I also ordered a hardwired surge protector and need to get the wire.

I got the drone. I realize it is a 'beginner' model (I need that), but every time I get the trim set it will almost hover for a bit, but then it will change and I have to fight it to try to get control again. Replace the battery with a fresh one and I have to try to get the trim set again. Is it me or an issue with the drone or both???

I got the drone. I realize it is a 'beginner' model (I need that), but every time I get the trim set it will almost hover for a bit, but then it will change and I have to fight it to try to get control again. Replace the battery with a fresh one and I have to try to get the trim set again. Is it me or an issue with the drone or both???
Hey @Gronk, did you get your drone figured out yet?

Hey @Gronk, did you get your drone figured out yet?
No Jim, I haven't.....yet. Every time I was going to play with it it was either windy or raining. Still haven't had much success with it (other than getting it out of a tree about25 feet up). A problem I run into is that the trim buttons are not labeled as to which one does what plus the orientation of them is different than the drone sitting in front of you. Also, the wind is a real issue especially since I'm a novice.

No Jim, I haven't.....yet. Every time I was going to play with it it was either windy or raining. Still haven't had much success with it (other than getting it out of a tree about25 feet up). A problem I run into is that the trim buttons are not labeled as to which one does what plus the orientation of them is different than the drone sitting in front of you. Also, the wind is a real issue especially since I'm a novice.
Sometimes these inexpensive drones are better to teach us to buy better drones than they are for flying. :) I've had a dozen inexpensive drones, all of which were good to play with around (or in) the house, but they weren't much good to take pictures with or to fly any long distance missions with.

I learned how to use the controller by flying the el-chepo's but everything got better for me when I bought an Autel X-Star Premium. They had come to the end of their production life and were being replaced by the Autel Evo. As such, there were lots of them on ebay and for very little money. If I remember correctly, I bought mine for $499 and it came with everything, including a couple of batteries, extra propellers, carry case, etc. And it had a 4K camera that really worked well. Money well spent and I could fly as high as was legal (or higher) and it took some great videos. All-in-all, a great drone for not much money.

I was getting better with my drone and one day a friend said a company in China (no surprise there) would give us a free drone if we would give them an honest review on Amazon. (i.e. they wanted to buy some good reviews.) OK, they sent one, I reviewed it, gave them an honest review and played with my free drone. Then they did it again, this time with a drone from Walmart. I took the drone for a flight, gave them a review, and everyone was happy. (As these drones weren't as good as the X-Star Premium, I would give them to my Son, who had a good time with them.) When they came back a 3rd time and I told them I had enough cheap drones and no I didn't want to do another review.

About a month later they said they would send me their flagship drone if I would review it. So I said sure, OK. I flew it, reviewed it, and again I played with my new drone. It should be noted that I never gave a fake review, I reviewed the drones and gave them the # of stars that I felt they deserved. All of this based on the drone and what could be expected for that price point. Here is one of the flights I recorded for their HS-170 drone, which was about $150.00 at the time. Holy Stone HS720.mp4

Even though this HS-170 drone has a camera, it isn't really able to capturing good videos, but it is a wonderful drone to learn the basics with. And at a little over $150, it's affordable. It's easy to fly and has a lot of features that you find on more expensive drones. And if you lose it, well it won't ruin your day.

If I were you, I would look on eBay for a used DJI or comparable model drone. Don't get the X-Star like mine as they no longer make batteries for them. These higher brand drones will really make your day, and they are seriously easy to fly in GPS mode. And unlike the el-chepo's that are available, the nicer drones will shoot some incredible video.

I thought about getting a better drone, but I need to justify it with the book keeper/banker...... I knew the one I purchased was a cheap toy, but I though (that seems to be where my trouble lies) that I could get decent experience with it before I got a better one. This one seem so light that it gets blown around really bad. Been toying with adding a bit of weight to see if that 'tames' it a bit. Maybe when I get back to Minnesota.........

I want to be able to have a drone fly 1 mi ahead of me so I can have real time traffic info. If there is a traffic issue, I can exit and take a nap or have a snack. Beats sitting in traffic.

@Retired I have a Garmin 780 RV GPS with traffic. It gets its info from my phone and alerts me way ahead of time so I can plan accordingly. I would put a link up, but the internet is so slow here that I can't even get one for you........

Latest resources

Back