• Friendliest RV community on the web
Excerpted from the 28 page

MICHELIN RV TIRE
GUIDE FOR PROPER USE
AND MAINTENANCE

LONG TERM STORAGE
When a tire is fitted to a wheel and put under load,
but it is not regularly used, the tire does not have an
opportunity to “exercise” and will prematurely age.
If a recreational vehicle is not driven regularly, care
must be taken to preserve the remaining life of the tires.
Best practices include:
1. Store the recreational vehicle in a cool, dry, sealed
garage, away from electric generators or transformers.
Do not store in an area where welding is performed, or
in a garage that has frequently used electric motors.
2. Place a barrier between the tire and the storage
surface. Suitable barriers include plastic, plywood,
cardboard, or rubber floor mats.
3. Before storing the vehicles, thoroughly clean tires with
soap and water.
4. If outdoors, cover tires to block direct sunlight and
ultraviolet rays.
5. Inflate tires to the maximum inflation pressure
indicated on the sidewall.
6. If long term storage exceeds 3 months, consider taking
the recreational vehicle for monthly highway drives
(about one hour of operational time). Driving the
vehicle will give the tires an opportunity to generate
internal heat which will promote long life.
Before removing the vehicle from long term storage,
thoroughly inspect each tire, and restore all tires to the
proper inflation pressure.

I used to use blocks to store my Coach. I had 6 sets of blocks that were tall enough to support the majority weight of the coach and then retract the jacks. I would use the jacks to lift the coach just enough to slide the blocks under the frame and would lower the jacks. Now we winterize our coach in Oct and leave somewhere in warmer weather in Dec so I don't feel it is worth the effort.
We set for 3 to 4 months down south so do the people the use mats use them while they are camping also?
I have been told cement is the best surface to store on and asphalt is the worest since asphalt is an oil base and will damage the tires.
We have two cars and of course, leave one behind when we go south. Do you use mats under your car tires while you're gone?

Our vehicles are always kept in our garage on a clean concrete floor. As to our travel trailer, I park it outside and have the required lengths and number of 2 x 12's, pressure-treated material, on which the tires sit. Also, the TT is blocked with the 2 x 12's such that it is precisely level, left to right and front to back.

We use rubber mats whenever the rig is parked on a hard surface for more than a couple weeks. Not much extra work and if the tire mfg states it can help make tires last a little longer, will definitely do my part.

I used to use blocks to store my Coach. I had 6 sets of blocks that were tall enough to support the majority weight of the coach and then retract the jacks. I would use the jacks to lift the coach just enough to slide the blocks under the frame and would lower the jacks. Now we winterize our coach in Oct and leave somewhere in warmer weather in Dec so I don't feel it is worth the effort.
We set for 3 to 4 months down south so do the people the use mats use them while they are camping also?
I have been told cement is the best surface to store on and asphalt is the worest since asphalt is an oil base and will damage the tires.
We have two cars and of course, leave one behind when we go south. Do you use mats under your car tires while you're gone?
Just sharing manufacturer's recommendations with the group, can split this hair a thousand ways.

Latest resources

Back