Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Stranded, no cellular, what ya gonna do?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
hmm, I would think that most people with RVs would also be Ham Radio operators.

maybe I am just old school but I would rather have my Ham than a cell phone any day.
Almost no one on 2m anymore either.

Carrying a list of Repeaters in your area is always helpful. If you can hit a Repeater, you can essentially call home.

Ham radio - never wanted to bother with the aggravation of studying and getting a license.
If the cell phone doesn’t work, keep driving. If I can’t drive, pull out Starlink. If the skies are obscured due to tree cover, pull out a chair and enjoy the scenery.

How stranded? If my family was with me, I’d set them up comfortably(firewood and all) before riding my bike back out the way we came. After reaching cell range, I’d make phone calls.

Yes, hitting a two meter or 70 centimeter amateur radio repeater shouldn't be too difficult in most places, especially if you can program your radio for the trip before you depart. If there is an "I-Gate" node for APRS (Automated Packet Reporting System) in the vicinity, you might be able to message somebody nearby for assistance on the US VHF APRS packet freq of 144.390 simplex.

Rick

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back