RV Model
Dutch Star 4369
RV Length
TOW/TOAD
2015 GMC Canyon
Fulltimer
No
2019 Dutch Star 4369

Had a strange thing happen. After driving 300 miles yesterday as we got off the interstate I heard the hydraulic pump going. We were only a mile from the campground and the jack control panel showed green (travel mode). When I pulled into registration I put in neutral and as soon as I set the parking brake, the pump stopped. I released the brake and pump started up. After I turned the engine off and restarted, no issues with the pump. Did setup and full wall slide and jacks operated normally. I might add that we visually inspect for jack retraction every time we break camp. Does anyone know why the brake setting disrupted the pump? Suggestions from the DS/HWH gurus?

I really don't need this as we are getting ready to enter Canada on our Alaska trip!

Last edited:
If your 2019 is the same as my 21 the two solenoids that control the on/off of the pump are up front under the pass headlight area. Accessed by the generator slide etc. they are just big relays. I had one fail and caused the pump not to run, and I would assume the relay could fail in the opposite way making it send power when not commanded.
I would find them and familiarize yourself with them.

i had to have the relay shipped from Newmar when mine failed. I forget the name of the company that does our hydraulics, but they were helpful on the phone helping me troubleshoot when mine failed.
hope this is of some help

If you have HWH Jacks like a lot of our RV's do, give them a call for tech support. They are excellent as SVOSHOP stated. I was on the phone with them for several hours(combined over several calls). They never acted like there was someone more important than me.

Mine wouldn't dump air with the dump switch. Turns out my exhaust ports on the HWH system were clogged with mud dauber hard powder(not sure how else to describe it). As soon as I cleaned those out my dump works perfectly.

Point is, they will help you, no matter what the problem is. I also had a bad relay. There are two relays on the system. A continuous relay(master), and an intermittent relay only meant to be used for a minute or two at a time. They are easy to replace. On my 05 Essex, the pump & relays are passenger side, right front very close to the stairs. Hope this helps.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back