Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

2Hartmans

RVF Newbee
We were looking to buy a 2011 Open Road, and found what appeared to be a stress crack the crack was just behind the rear axle, and ran vertically from the corner of the bed slide, down to the seam (about 12-14”).
Is this common, and how easy is it to repair?

On the metal or fiberglass crack?

We were looking to buy a 2011 Open Road, and found what appeared to be a stress crack the crack was just behind the rear axle, and ran vertically from the corner of the bed slide, down to the seam (about 12-14”).

Using a #40 drill bit, drill a hole at the end of the crack. It will stop progressing at that point. This method works for fiberglass and metal.

I'd run away, there are a lot of coaches to buy.
It could mean a broken weld, it could mean any number of things inside the wall.

Hi 2Hartmans. That crack is referred to as the "Infamous Tiffin Crack." I sold my Phaeton a couple of months ago and a day before the new owner was to pick up the coach, I moved it across the RV lot to a spot where I could have it detailed. Apparently the coach got twisted just the right (or wrong) way, and it cracked the fiberglass from under the rear slide to the bottom piece of trip. Both the new owner and myself were shocked and devastated to say the least.

Long story short, it's something that has happened to many a Tiffin owner. There are some pretty ingenious fixes, one of which is to apply a piece of aluminum over the crack and then have it painted to match the theme of the coach. Here is what mine looked like. My coach was a 2009, and the crack waited until 2021 to finally happen. Strange for sure.

1637601668723.jpeg

Last edited:
I have this on my Allegro Red. Tiffin normally authorizes a repair under their 10 year warranty, but you have to contact them directly. I’m debating how to go about the repair on mine.

I have this on my Allegro Red. Tiffin normally authorizes a repair under their 10 year warranty, but you have to contact them directly. I’m debating how to go about the repair on mine.
Using a Dremel with a V-shaped bit, cut a groove about 1/8" deep, following along the crack. Then using marine J B Weld, which is white, mix a 2 part spoonful. Using a small flat putty knife or artist's spatula, fill the crack and smooth it over. Allow curing 24 to 48 hrs. You may wish to sand with #600 paper then paint with acrylic paint to match. This is a very common boat fiberglass repair method and works quite well.

Tennessee to Alabama is not that far. But, the issue is Tiffin gives a 10 year warranty. If you can get approval now, maybe you can slip in for a repair with prior approval in 2022? But, be aware that you can have a wait anywhere for a couple of weeks to 8 weeks to get in the body shop, depending on time of year.

Tennessee to Alabama is not that far. But, the issue is Tiffin gives a 10 year warranty. If you can get approval now, maybe you can slip in for a repair with prior approval in 2022? But, be aware that you can have a wait anywhere for a couple of weeks to 8 weeks to get in the body shop, depending on time of year.

I would think Tiffin would/could authorize a company near the owner to resolve the issue. Yes, may take time......but now is the time to "get in line".

Latest resources

Back