• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Stress crack

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
I had the famous crack occur on the tiffin 2011 bus. Estimates are 6k to fix per tiffin guidelines. Tiffin does not help when outside 10 years and they only pay the first 1k per their email. I am looking to sell but think it would be better to fix it first. The first couple places only want to do per Tiffen guidelines. SUGGESTIONS?

Attachments

• 20211219_151204.jpg
    20211219_151204.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 71
  • 20211219_151211.jpg
    20211219_151211.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 65
  • 20211219_151206.jpg
    20211219_151206.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 69
That sounds awful high for the repair. I’d look around some more, especially since Tiffin won’t help.

Yes sounds very high for that repair. But many times they consider the monetary value of the purchase and charge accordingly. Now that translates to "if you can afford one of these, you shouldn't be concerned about the repair cost". I know that's not right, nor a way to keep customers happy, but it is often done.

In our case, with our little travel trailer, the refrigerator vent leaked and because of a refrigerator change, it was no longer needed. I personally removed it, replaced the slug cut-out, and filled the edge cracks with white JB Weld. I did use a Dremmel to V groove the edges, filled and sanded, and put on a layer of gel-coat. See one picture of the vent and one picture of it gone. I know this is not in the class of the Tiffin but......repairing fiberglass is repairing fiberglass, regardless of what it is on. Repaired many a stress crack on boats in years past.

Procedurally, cut a V groove cut along the crack, fill it, and have an auto body shop touch up the colors. I'd say less than $1K.

Attachments

• REF Vent.jpg
    REF Vent.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 24
  • DSCF0005.JPG
    DSCF0005.JPG
    338.9 KB · Views: 23

Latest resources

Back