Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

NW-Dstar

RVF Regular
Chelan WA (most time) Indio CA (sometimes)
RV Year
RV Make
Newmar
RV Model
Dutchstar 4018
RV Length
40'
Chassis
Freightliner
Engine
450 L-9
TOW/TOAD
RAM Rebel 1500
Couple of items worth sharing. The other day my Front Door POS-I-LOC HINGE Stop broke at the rivet. This was a common problem on my previous coach (Monaco) and after some years someone engineered a brass sleeved rivet that prevented this failure, perhaps someone will do same for a Newmar Locking Doorstop. Anyway while researching replacements, I was shocked to see Newmar Price @ $315 for such a simple steel part with same weak rivet (ComNet part # 09402). However they do also offer just the rivet for $13.49 (ComNet part # 015403) so I ordered one of these instead. Unsure if I'll be successful but will hopefully provide me capability to repair old one. Then I located the original manufacturer: PTL mfg. and sourced a full hinge for about 1/3rd the Newmar list price @ $119.76 Locking Door Check Kit . Once the new one arrives, I will attempt to rebuild the old one and have a spare (something I learned to do with my Monaco because they always fail at the worst time.

Next item for repair was my front drivers side LED clearance light lost the amber cover somewhere along my last trip from NASCAR Pheonix and Indio. I didn't search as much for this replacement though I suspect it would be equally discounted from another source than Newmar. I had to order the chrome bezel and the lens separately but since I already had the rivet in my cart I added these two items as well!
EA​
LIGHT SIDE MARKER ELLIP AMBER
1​
5.09​
5.09​
EA​
BEZEL SIDE MARKER ELLIP CHROME
1​
4.93​
4.93​

Anyways thought it was worth sharing and looking to see less expensive source for lights in future when I'm not already logged into ComNet.

Enjoy,
/.d

Good find. Thanks for sharing. Here is the pic for those that want to see what the above is about.

locking-door-check-kit.jpg

NW-Dstar, I almost passed out when I asked about the price for the door check from the Newmar store at the International two years ago because I thought I'd get an extra. Saw PTL had it much cheaper, but still using the original. BTW, it's helpful to list your coach particulars in your sig line.

I lubed mine with spray silicone - it doesn't hold the door open quite as well but it also isn’t as stressed. I wasn’t aware that breakage of this part was a common problem but I can see how that would happen. I just got tired of the noise it made when closing the door. I would definitely repair mine before paying even $120, much less $300. Wow!

Latest resources

Back