JGreenough

RVF Newbee
RV Year
RV Make
Forest River
RV Model
ESP Popup
RV Length
Hello, I have a 2017 Forest River Rockwood pop up camper. I am having issues getting the water heater to reliably light. I have been having issues with this since I purchased the camper new, but I did not use the water heater until after it was out of warranty. The water heater is a Suburban. The owners manual shows that it is one of the following models. SW6D • SW6DE • SW6DM • SW6DEM When I turn on the propane bottle, and then turn the toggle switch inside the camper, the light turns red. I can hear the igniter tick tick tick happening, then in a few seconds I get a fairly loud POOF of built up propane igniting, but the heater does not light. There are two reset buttons on the water heater, once in a while I can get it to light by pressing and holding those for a few seconds, but most times it just does the same thing. it ticks and then shoots a flame out igniting the built up propane. Does anyone have ideas as to what could be going on with this? For a while I thought it was caused by an air bubble in the gas line, but I belive I have eliminated that as a problem. All other propane appliances work fine. Thank you, John

Since you have not used it, I assume it has not been serviced. You can try blowing it out with an air compressor, but it may need moreindepth insoection and cleaning.

Not sure what the cause is, but I have my furnace and hot water heater serviced yearly. Might want to have is serviced by a reputable mobile tech.

It is known that spiders and other insects are known to build a nest in the flame tube. I suggest that you inspect the tube and make sure it is clear of any vermin. Also, check to see that the gas orifice is not blocked along with the space between the orifice and flame tube. You have gas, you have ignition, now you just need to make sure the gas and air mix in the flame tube.

It is known that spiders and other insects are known to build a nest in the flame tube. I suggest that you inspect the tube and make sure it is clear of any vermin. Also, check to see that the gas orifice is not blocked along with the space between the orifice and flame tube. You have gas, you have ignition, now you just need to make sure the gas and air mix in the flame tube.
Great tips Bob! Thanks a bunch. I blew it out with compressed air a year or so ago, but have not removed that flame tube completely to inspect it. I have no idea about spacing between the orifice and flame tube, but I will see if I can see anything that does not look right or has some adjustment available. I have the feeling the spacing could be the issue, but I am just not sure what to look for. Thanks again! John

Follow up on this water heater. I was able to get it into the dealer for them to take a look. The issue was that the spark probes were not properly aligned. Tech realigned them and all should be good. A half hour labor and was out the door. Glad that is fixed. Bob was on the money I believe with his comment about the orifice and flame tube spacing. Thanks all!!

Latest resources

Back