Chassis
Spartan
Engine
Cummins
TOW/TOAD
2018 Ford Flex
Fulltimer
No
Has anyone converted the drive wheel/tires to Super Singles? There is significant weight savings to be had and lower rolling resistance as well. Granted for the typical low mileage of a RV user it does not make economic sense but for me an extra 300-400 lbs of load capacity would be useful.

The down side is that if you lose a super single, you can't limp in for assistance like you can if one of the duals goes down.

TJ

There is always the option of a run flat insert like Retro Flat or Tyron. I agree that options with a flat are limited. In my case, I would wait for road service regardless of the type of install. In my opinion moving the RV with a flat is too much of a risk damaging the inflated tire due to overloading it. In my instance I run close to GVWR on almost all trips.

I would think that since the wheels and tires are below the suspension that decreasing their weight does not increase the CCC. While it does reduce the weight across the scale I feel that the only way to increase CCC is to remove weight above the suspension

You have a good point there regarding unsprung weight. Also I have found that my RV, F53 chassis, has 8 lug wheels and Super Single wheels are designed for Truck 10 lug axles. The DP chassis have 10 lug wheels I believe.

Latest resources

Back