Chassis
Freightliner
Engine
Cummins
TOW/TOAD
2024 Jeep Rubicon
Fulltimer
Yes
So, my Progressive Industries surge protector just got fried along with the prongs from my electrical cord for my coach.
Had a tech out here tonight and he put on a new prong head so we are plugged back in but with no surge protection.
My question is, which one do you guys use. The tech recommended using the one I have attached here. Any suggestions or insights is greatly appreciated. Surge Guard
Thanks

I have used a Hughes Autoformer Watchdog Surge protector for over 3 years and am very happy. The nice thing is the surge module is self replacable at $42 plus they have a limited lifetime warranty on the unit overall. They also just came out with a new one that is wifi enabled that you can monitor and control the coach power from anywhere in the world, provided you have wifi service in the coach. Oh, and there customer service has been great.

I would assume this would be a good idea even for a rv trailer in a camp ground?

Another vote for the Hughs watchdog. Works real well, has Bluetooth ( and now wireless) and the replaceable module is nice.

I would assume this would be a good idea even for a rv trailer in a camp ground?
Yes! You never know what power problems a campground would have.

Just my opinion:

1) Some campgrounds have very old electrical grids and don't want to put the huge amount of money it would require to upgrade the infrastructure. Don't trust it!

2) Pedestals get worn, often breakers are worn out, if you have a problem that's the first thing that typically happens, they check the pedestal and swap the breaker.

3) Coaches are probably pulling a lot more power these days than when some of the campgrounds were built.

4) Modern coaches have a lot more sensitive electronics and it could be costly to replace and could obviously disrupt your camping pleasure.

I use the one on the pedestal I linked, I use it mainly to get the lights telling me the pedestal is wired correctly, and it protects the path to the cord reel. I have a Hughes internal EMS-50 and also a Hughes AutoFormer, and then my coach's transfer switch also has surge protection but if it trips I think it requires a replacement of something. Cheap insurance....

So, my Progressive Industries surge protector just got fried along with the prongs from my electrical cord for my coach.
Had a tech out here tonight and he put on a new prong head so we are plugged back in but with no surge protection.
My question is, which one do you guys use. The tech recommended using the one I have attached here. Any suggestions or insights is greatly appreciated. Surge Guard
Thanks
Thank you to everyone for their input it’s very appreciated.

So for a trailer with basic electronics do I need a top of the line unit? I see they are from 40 to 400 dollars. :unsure:

Latest resources

Back