• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Surge Protection

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
The less expensive ones just do surge protection while the pricier ones also have “EPO” or emergency power off for when voltage goes to high or too low…it will cut the power automatically to protect you electronics….which can be as bad as a surge in some cases.

I guess it depends on what you are trying to protect and how much it might be worth…

I've successfully used Progressive Industries EMS for 15 years.

Progressive makes a good unit. We have moved onto Hughes due to the needs of our all electric RV.
Used Progressive’s surge protector with our prior RV.

Another for the Hughes Watchdog EMS unit.

The addition of cutting off power on voltage or frequency issues is good to have. Currently in an older park and have tripped on low voltage a couple times already.

Surge protection is just that and would not help with voltage issues.

Can’t go wrong with either Hughes or Progressive (had a hardwired Progressive in our old RV).

We have the watchdog unit too (in addition to a Surge Guard unit built into the coach).
However, there are times when the watchdog unit complains about something and I just scratch my head. I pull out the multi-meter and check things on the power pedestal, check continuity on the coach side and cannot figure out why it indicates a problem and is shutting down. A couple times, after testing with multi-meter, have removed the watch dog and just used the internal Surge Guard. (Testing with full power running, just pulled plugs apart enough to be able to use multi-meter on exposed prongs, not seeing the problem that the watch dog said it saw)

Customer service replaced a unit for us once when I sent them a video of the unit complaining and then showing what our Fluke Multi-meter was showing.
Good customer service and support.

Next time we will probably spend the extra $ for the auto former model, to adjust for those times when voltages drop a little low.

I like having this hardwired in my storage bay with the remote display: Amazon.com

Best,
-Mark

Latest resources

Back