RV Model
Red 33 AA
RV Length
35 ft
TOW/TOAD
2017 Jeep Sahara
Fulltimer
No
Learned something new today. We picked up our Tiffin Red 33AA from its long winter nap on Sunday. I am fortunate that it is stored in a heated garage, and plugged in 50 AMP service.

Started Sunday afternoon and Monday getting it ready for the upcoming week end camping outing at the Bloomsburg Gun Show at the fairgrounds. After I leveled the coach and put out the slides I hooked up to my 50 amp service at home, I heard this soft boom noise. It was not the usually load click when the transfer switch kicks in on the built in Surge Protector. That sounded weird but everything looked ok. I opened up my cabinet to check my Magna display and noticed that my Inverter was not charging my batteries. The charging light was not lit. I let the coach sit overnight not plugged in and my house batteries was down to 12.1...... So I started the Jenny and yep the charging light came on. So my batteries were being charged from the Jenny and not power outlet. I did the breaker switch on & off, Master Inverter switch on and off nothing. My Inverter had a flashing green light, couldn't remember if it was supposed to do that or should be a sold green? Now I went back to my stock on board surge protector, there was a red light on, Hmmm I never seen this before. I un-pluged 50 am service, and re-plugged in immediately, nothing it still stayed the same.

So I called Tiffin service. The tech talked me through a couple of things, then he said un plug from your service and wait 10 minutes. I also have a Surge Protector I carry and plug in directly at the service plug, It checks the power for two minutes then sends it on. This morning I hooked the portable surge protector at the power source and let the 50 ft heavy extension cord laying on the ground, when I plugged into the extension cord after two minutes, that is when I heard the boom.

Well after waiting 10 minutes, I plugged in to my 50 amp service, with my portable surge protector, the two minutes counted down and click went the transfer switch. No red light? Inverted solid green light, charging my batteries. I am guessing the onboard surge protector reset itself after the 10 minutes. ??????

Regards HH

Fasc9inating. Thanks for sharing.

Latest resources

Back