RV Year
RV Make
Newmar
RV Model
Dutchstar 4369
RV Length
TOW/TOAD
2014 Honda CRV
While at the Strawberry Festival Rally last week, I noticed the shower was draining slower than usual, so I poured two large pots of boiling water down the drain.
But later while dumping the tanks, the gray tank was draining very slow, and was trying to take air from the drain side, just like when you are pouring water from a bottle. Looks like my went tube is plugged?
I have seen wasp and daubers flying in the garage, but was not able to find their nest.
Now I'm trying to work up a courage and climb on the roof. At 71 year old and on the heavy side, it is getting harder all the time :).
I wander if someone else had to deal with that?

When I had my trailer, I put some screen material around the vent pie to prevent this. I have been meaning to do it on the MH, but never got to it. I also put it in the A/C cover and refrigerator vent on the side of the MH.

If you are uncomfortable getting up there, I would get a local mobile tech recommended by the campground owner , perhaps to get up there and take care of it. Chances are he has done it before and knows what he is doing. It may cost you 50 or 60 bucks, but it would be well spent. Have him check all of the roof and seals while he is up there.

While at the Strawberry Festival Rally last week, I noticed the shower was draining slower than usual, so I poured two large pots of boiling water down the drain.
But later while dumping the tanks, the gray tank was draining very slow, and was trying to take air from the drain side, just like when you are pouring water from a bottle. Looks like my went tube is plugged?
I have seen wasp and daubers flying in the garage, but was not able to find their nest.
Now I'm trying to work up a courage and climb on the roof. At 71 year old and on the heavy side, it is getting harder all the time :).
I wander if someone else had to deal with that?
Even if you climb up on the roof, there's no guarantee you'll see anything to prove they are/were in there or not. Well, not unless they're flying in/out of the top of the tube. And if that's the case, I don't think you're going to want to be up there. That vent tube has a cap on it, so you'll not be able to look down inside anyway.

I used the vent tube as a way to channel my solar wires from the roof down to the basement of the motor home. And while I was trying to fish the wire up through the vent tube, it kept banging into something that stopped it from going any further. After a bunch more banging and jamming the wire, it finally busted through and a whole lot of mud dauber nesting (i.e. chunks of dirt) came down the tube.

So yes, the little buggers like an area like that and apparently neither Tiffin nor Newmar did anything to block them from gaining access. Jamming a 4 gauge wire broke through the nest(s) in mine but unless you have some laying around, it's a little expensive to purchase just to evict some daubers. I wonder if maybe pouring some water down that pipe might dislodge/destroy the nest?

Thank you Jim. I have electrician’s fish tape, that’s a very stiff steel rectangular wire that could work?
will let you know.

Update:
Managed to peek on top. There are two vents. One by the mid AC and one in the same location next to the aft AC. The one by the mid AC had the top knocked off. Tried to push down the fish tape, but will go only about 6". Tried to look in, but it is a black pipe and looks like there is a 90 degree elbow? I have no idea which one is which?
Looks like I will be replacing both vents? Wander if there are any better ones out there? These lasted 5 years and the plastic is disintegrating.

fullsizeoutput_a1d.jpeg

Buly
Not suggesting you buy from CW but may want to use these instead of replacing the complete vent.

Thank you Bill. That may work, plus I will install some SS screen.

I like the SS screen idea

Although I've not used one, I was impressed with this design. No moving parts, wind direction inconsequential, draws fumes out not merely allowing them out and already has a screen.

1583590651015.png

Latest resources

Back