• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Suspected mud dauber problem?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
If I go to total replacement, I will go that route.

Update:
Managed to peek on top. There are two vents. One by the mid AC and one in the same location next to the aft AC. The one by the mid AC had the top knocked off. Tried to push down the fish tape, but will go only about 6". Tried to look in, but it is a black pipe and looks like there is a 90 degree elbow? I have no idea which one is which?
Looks like I will be replacing both vents? Wander if there are any better ones out there? These lasted 5 years and the plastic is disintegrating.

View attachment 1395
I know you are not on the roof much. I treat all plastic and rubber items with Aerospace 303. UV protection. I usually treat several times during the camping season.

As RandyB suggested, I replaced both vents with 360 Syphon model. The old ones were crumbling like soda crackers in my hand. The hard part was I had to work on my knees in the 4' space between RV roof and garage ceiling. While there, I noticed the Dicor sealant on the roof was developing deep cracks. So I ordered 5 tubes of the stuff and that's my new project. The very hard part is scrapping the old Dicor. In the mean time the temps here are pushing 90F.
BTW before installing the vent caps, I used the garden hose to reverse flush the vent pipes from the top. They were fine.

The 360 Siphon vent looks interesting, but I'm wondering about the concave top plate. Won't it retain water?

I understand that when in motion, that wouldn't be an issue, but when parked it looks like it would retain water. Are there some drains that I'm not seeing in the photos?

TJ

TJ, That bothered me too, but what we can do? That's how they made it. There is no drain hole, and I have no idea why they dished it like that?

I have an older version of the 360 siphon, and it is not concave. I would fill that area in with dicor.

2019 DSDP 4369 * Active Air * NHSO

I have an older version of the 360 siphon, and it is not concave. I would fill that area in with dicor.

2019 DSDP 4369 * Active Air * NHSO
Great idea, @redbaron! And, maybe crown it just a little in the center. If I ever need to replace a vent cover, that's exactly what I'm going to do.

TJ

From some of the reviews and looking at the new one, it appears that they really cheapened the product. The new on looks very flimsy compared to the original. How sturdy does it feel in your hand? I looked at it and decided to stay with the standard cap.

AbdRahim,
I found it to be ok. Of course, if someone kicks it, it may brake. On the original ones, the cap was held on by a single screw in a thin post. If you want sturdy, get the metal ones that are made for a gas heater I think?

Latest resources

Back