• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Sway Bars for gas class A

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
It is....... Having my second one installed on my new Tiffin 33AA when it comes in.

HH

OK...firstly, I believe the steering stabilizers ARE beneficial and I installed one a year ago (and appreciate it greatly)...but, (Headhunter), are you saying you are installing a second one? Please clarify for dummies like me ?

Hi Scooter:
My last coach was a 2019 Tiffin Open Road 32 SA gasser. I had a Safe-T-Plus installed at a Tiffin Rally. It made a huge difference in response timing with the steering of my coach. I am buying a NEW coach a 2021 Tiffin DP 33AA. I am having a Safe-T-Plus installed on that one. Just make sure the installers have done it before. You have to drive the coach and adjust the stabilizer accordingly.

Not two units on one coach. That being said, with Gas coaches, the ride leaves a lot to be desired. You can also put a rear sway bar on the rear of the coach. You can also replace the standard shocks with Koni shocks. And most important get your coach weighted on a CAT scale. Then adjust your tire pressure accordingly to your manufactures specifications for WEIGHT...!! Almost all MH tire pressures are over inflated and inflict a very harsh ride.

Regards HH

Going back several years we had a "almost" new 37' gas coach. After doing the CHF (cheap handling fix), Safe-T, and Sumos it handled about 50% better. However it still never handled as well as our 43' tag axle DP. The F53 chassis can only be modified so much.

I am inclined to agree with you. There is only so much you can do. The biggest improvement is the Liquid Springs set up. But the cost is very high. For front & back you are looking at $18 to $20K. So IMHO if you are going to pay that much for ride improvements, you might as well move up to a DP.

HH

I had a 2004 Windsport a few years ago. Scarred me to death to drive it anywhere. I did the Cheap Handling Fix one afternoon and the difference was night/day. I felt like I was driving a completely different motor home. If it's not too late, I'd hold off on any of the expensive add-on's until I saw what difference the CHF made.

While some get away with the CHF, many do not. It is best to install a stiffer anti sway bar up front.

Although I've never had the pleasure to drive a diesel pusher, I can imagine the handling differences. The handling on our Canyon Star improved greatly with our steering stabilizer, and we have Koni shocks. It still gets pushed around in cross winds but the big rigs don't knock me around any more. Still, driving for more than (SAY) five-six hours is about all I care to do if given the choice. Thanks for the good information above...you guys are awesome ?

Like anything, you can spend as much as you want to on an RV. On the F53 chassis, if you want todo a major upgrade to overall handling and ride comfort, you are looking in the range of $8 - $10K. You can do a piecemeal approach to this so you are not overwhelmed by the cost, unless you can afford to do it all at once. I’d recommend taking this approach: (assuming you have the 24 K chassis)

4 corner weight and adjust tire pressure
Saf-T-Steer steering stabilizer
4 wheel laser alignment
replace front sway bar with 1 3/4“ sway bar
add additional rear sway bar
add rear trac bar
replace standard shocks with Koni FSD ( ideally, quad shocks, 2 per wheel)

you‘ll never get a gas coach to ride like a DP, but you can get close without the total diesel expense. And be sure to use a shop that really knows what they are doing on F53 chassis. You may want to call Henderson’s Line Up, in Grants Pass, Or (541-469-2882) and see if they can refer to someone in your area as they do have authorized centers across the US. Good luck!

Latest resources

Back