• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Sweating the fuel gauge

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
@AbdRahim because I know this area, this is not a RV trip, this is a known route to service I do annually. I'm familiar with the roads and gas stops so I was able to test the fuel consumption per se. It was not a case of some unknown route and wondering where the fuel stops were. I knew of the Love's near where I left (CG), the one I fueled at, and the one that I was hoping to get to. It was simply an experiment that I chickened out on as the low fuel dinging was driving me insane. It would warn me then go away (hills) rather than just stay on.

I get your point. I don't think this is the same situation as again, this is a very well known route and area in the Charlotte, NC area with lots of fuel stops to pick from, my goal was a Love's stop. I NEVER let my fuel get this low on normal trips. 1/2 tank mark I'm looking with the goal of filling a 1/4.

Actually, from what I know of you from the forum, Neal, I suspected that, but did not want to presume.?

Only one time during our Newmar travels have we had the low fuel warning buzzer shout out. We were on a very curvy road in Oregon, DW was not happy and neither was I. Thing went off at each curve. Never again. We now always fuel at or before 400 miles/half tank

9cd0858c-f38f-4095-8383-f5fce907c2f6-jpeg.1920

lol, you're a wildman @Neal :p

I know that low fuel warning starts to be an annoyance around 1/4 tank on our 4018 DS. West Texas trying to fuel in El Paso is how I found out?. I ended up putting in 78 gallons in the 100 gallon tank. I like most here start looking for fuel at 1/2

My fuel gauge was very flaky when we bought the coach. Was great below half but intermittent above - very frustrating. I tried to find a replacement sending unit but couldn't. Discontinued. Finally at the Tampa RV super show I talked to the parts manager of Spartan and explained this frustration and he jumped on his computer and then made a call and found that they sell their old/discontinued stock to a company that resells it (and not cheap either). So he gave me the website and I found one - yay.
The sender is mounted on the side of the 150 gal tank and since I keep the tank above half, where the sending unit was flaky. I had to take long drives trying to get the diesel level below half. Then the mounting bolts were rusted in place - took a lot of finagling and special tools (like a piece of oak to apply pressure to the breaker bar from frame with special adapter and philips bit) to break them loose without stripping. Finally got that done and replaced. The new sending unit /gauge is spot on to what is in the tank. We drive around 300 miles per day, which translates to a 1/4 tank. So we get two 300 mile trips/leg before we hit 1/2 and look for a fuel station. I can look at the gauge and be pretty close to how much fuel it'll take.

Latest resources

Back