Chassis
Freightliner XCR
Engine
Cummins 400 HP
TOW/TOAD
2017 Chevy Colorado
Fulltimer
No
I don’t care to validate how accurate RV fuel gauges are. I knew where I wanted to hit a Love’s enroute to Gaffney but decided to hit one prior as although the math said I’d make it the low fuel warnings were giving me an ulcer. I took on nearly 80 of 100 gal capacity. I don’t think I would have made it 30 miles to the desired stop. Avoid drama at all costs.
9CD0858C-F38F-4095-8383-F5FCE907C2F6.jpeg

How many MPG do you get? At 5 MPG you could go 100 miles. No problem..... Live on the edge... :)

In reality I don't blame you... :)

I use a 7 mpg rule of thumb and that's all fine IF it's all usable fuel. Where is the pickup line? I've been lower, barely in the red, it's just not comfortable :sick:

We drive on the "top half" of the tank! That prevents ulcers and unneeded drama.

Generally, when our fuel gauge shows 1/2 full, it takes slightly less than 75 gallons to fill our 150-gallon tank. On the few times when we've found ourselves at the 1/4-full mark, LadyDi and I have been more than a bit uncomfortable. So, we plan ahead and schedule a fuel stop every 500-550 miles.

TJ

That’s exactly what I do. At half a tank, I start looking for a fuel stop.

Wow @Neal that odometer reading is impressive...Lots of happy miles in the Ventessex..

Haha, she's just breaking in. I love her now! It took long, we had many arguments, we didn't quite see things eye to eye. But we are happy together now :)

As to the fuel gauge, this is a route I've taken several times so I know the area, know the fuel stops, etc. I was trying to see how well it could be planned out based on known fuel, known locations, I simply just couldn't stand the alarms going off. I could see on this gorgeous sunny day me on the side of the road out of gas and causing problems from running a diesel dry, whatever those problems may be.

This is where RV trip wizard shines as I do my planning in it and it indicates where you need to refuel and I like to top off before the final stop so I have a full tank to start in the AM. RVTW is not perfect but I find the actual to be pretty close to what I plan. But then I am a newbie in miles compared to @Neal

This is not a criticism, Neal, but I don't know why anyone would not refuel at 1/2 a tank. I know many are more organized than I, but that method has saved me on more than one occasion in my working days hen I ended up running very late (not always my fault, when dealing with customers), with no time to refuel or like today, sitting in traffic for and hour.

I always tell young people - it costs the same to fill it from empty to half, as from half to full.?

Latest resources

Back