Chassis
Freightliner XCR
Engine
Cummins 400 HP
TOW/TOAD
2017 Chevy Colorado
Fulltimer
No
I've been on a taco kick this trip. Never really made them before and as it's so easy and so yummy, well, I can't stop. Any taco tips? I've been using both McCormick and Ortega seasoning mix, any one better than the other?

Think I may try mixing in some hatch green chili's into the ground beef next time. I have a secret concoction from @Choch58 I may try, her brew of hatch green chili's and other secret ingredients.

What are your TACO TIPS???? I should try bringing in tostados next time...

Ok well you asked. First thing - ditch the package seasoning kits. Get yourself some garlic powder, cumin, and chili powder and make your own. Season to taste. Mix in fresh chopped onion, green and red pepper, and cilantro after the meat is browned and somewhat chopped up, but not yet cooked and/or finely chopped. Some times I cheat here a bit and add some salsa to the meat while its cooking. Then a little chopped lettuce and cubed tomato, hot sauce to taste and you have tacos. Maybe a slice of avacado and a splash of lime juice if youre feeling adventurous.

Another tip for soft tacos on flour tortillas: put the tortillas in the pan with the meat, on top of everything when its done cooking, turn it down as low as it will go, put the lid on, and this will steam tortillas perfectly in a couple minutes while adding a little flavor. Dont turn them or stack them. Then put them on a plate, steamy side up, put your shredded cheese on the tortilla before the meat, and it will melt on its own while youre doing everything else. I cheat and use the pre-packaged finely shreaded “Mexican“ cheese when on the road. Enjoy. This is making me hungry!

PS: when using corn tortillas, I put them in a hot frying pan with a little oil or a shot of pam, kind of sear them, flip them and sprinkle a bit of powdered Parmesan cheese on them while the other side is cooking, then fold them as soon as they come out of the pan. You can usually do three at once in a full sized pan.

This is also the foundation for proper fish tacos. Some of the best fish tacos Ive had were also the most simple: a chunk of grilled mahi, some shreaded cabbage (like coleslaw), a little sauce mixed up on the spot with no recipe, a slice of avacado, with a lime wedge for garnish. Perfect.

PSS: Then there is breakfast tacos. Put in scrambled eggs, ground sausage cooked a bit like taco meat, hash browns, maybe some chunks of fresh tomato, etc. Like a breakfast burrito but in taco form. Fun stuff.

And even though its not Mexican, I use Tabasco on nearly everything but cereal and ice cream! Also if you’ve never visited Avery Island, put it on your list!

Last edited:
Also I used to make a creamy salsa vinegarette with just sour cream, salsa and balsamic vinegar. Great on taco salads. Lately Ive been leaning toward yogurt based salad dressings instead of sour cream to cut down on both dairy and cholesterol. Just as good and seems to be better for you. I found a cilantro/avocado yogurt dressing that works well as a base for most of this stuff, including fish tacos.

X2 in everything. Cilantro is the key. Smoked pork tenderloin, chicken, and lots of cheese make great tacos. I agree, make your own seasoning. We make some of our own salsa with diced tomatoes with green peppers from a can and add garlic, onions, cilantro , chili powder. Sky’s the limit. We like to experiment

You are missing the most important component of great tacos. A very cold beer to wash it down. 🌮 🍺

We make a fresh salsa for our tacos. Finely chop a medium sized white onion, three or four good sized tomatoes, three or four tomatillos(sticky coating rinsed off), a jalapeño, and a generous amount of cilantro. Add salt to taste, and juice from a lime. Stir, and let sit a bit. Keeps well for a few days in the fridge. If you have a gas range, just place the tortillas directly on the grates over a medium to medium high flame. Watch carefully, when edges brown a bit, turn with tongs till other side till edges are right. This is for beef tacos. Judy D

Last edited:
AND...remember to tilt your head...not the taco ! That's how we "gringos" are clearly identified. We keep our heads level and tilt the taco, and half the filling falls out. Glad Rich mentioned the fish taco, Baja style is the best😉 Don't neglect the carne asada tacos. Plus you get to BBQ on your outdoor grill !

Latest resources

Back