Chassis
Freightliner
Engine
Cummins
TOW/TOAD
2024 Jeep Rubicon
Fulltimer
Yes
My wife and I had a Tiffin Allegro Bus but it was a single axle rig. We are now going to purchase either the 40 or 44 footer Dutch Star. I was wondering how different the driving and stirring will be with this coach. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Generally, people like the way a tag axel rig handles and brakes over a non-tag rig. It should also help stabilize the rig while traveling down the road….especially when passing trucks.

Most folks, once they drive a tag axel motorhome do not want to go back.

Hope this helps.

Generally, people like the way a tag axel rig handles and brakes over a non-tag rig. It should also help stabilize the rig while traveling down the road….especially when passing trucks.

Hope this helps.
Thank you Rich. The old rig we had had a power glide chassis and it made driving it very easy. I’ve heard the tag axle makes it a smoother ride and the turning radius is incredible too.

There are 2 types of steerable tag axles. The active steer tags operate with the driver input thru the steering wheel. The active steer tags do make a considerable difference in rotating the coach and in their turning radius.

The passive steer tags, which is what you would find with the spartan and freightliner chassis, do not steer with the steering wheel input from the driver. They are designed to just follow the turning of the coach. Their main purpose was to reduce tire scrub. It was originally designed for delivery trucks driving within narrow city blocks.

A passive steer tag may help the turning radius if it was compared to the same exact chassis with a solid tag axle which was not lifted or the tag air bags not dumped. In that scenario, a passive steer tag should help 'some' with a full lock turning radius, in comparison.

I don't believe allegro has comfortdrive(?). I suspect, the comfort drive(CD) may be a considerable difference for your driving experience.

Having a tandem axle (drive axle+tagaxle) in the rear does help the coach to track more stable and straight. However, in the same token, a proper alignment become seven more critical.

In 'general', recognizing misalignments with units that are equipped with CD, can some times be challenging. The CD does not differentiate between a cross wind, the crown on the road nor with misalignments, in general.

One way to inspect for any potential misalignment is to disconnect the CD. Then drive the coach on a relatively flat smooth straight road at close to hwy speeds. If there are any misalignments, it will showup.

Hope this helps.
Thank you Rich. The old rig we had had a power glide chassis and it made driving it very easy. I’ve heard the tag axle makes it a smoother ride and the turning radius is incredible
There are 2 types of steerable tag axles. The active steer tags operate with the driver input thru the steering wheel. The active steer tags do make a considerable difference in rotating the coach and in their turning radius.

The passive steer tags, which is what you would find with the spartan and freightliner chassis, do not steer with the steering wheel input from the driver. They are designed to just follow the turning of the coach. Their main purpose was to reduce tire scrub. It was originally designed for delivery trucks driving within narrow city blocks.

A passive steer tag may help the turning radius if it was compared to the same exact chassis with a solid tag axle which was not lifted or the tag air bags not dumped. In that scenario, a passive steer tag should help 'some' with a full lock turning radius, in comparison.

I don't believe allegro has comfortdrive(?). I suspect, the comfort drive(CD) may be a considerable difference for your driving experience.

Having a tandem axle (drive axle+tagaxle) in the rear does help the coach to track more stable and straight. However, in the same token, a proper alignment become seven more critical.

In 'general', recognizing misalignments with units that are equipped with CD, can some times be challenging. The CD does not differentiate between a cross wind, the crown on the road nor with misalignments, in general.

One way to inspect for any potential misalignment is to disconnect the CD. Then drive the coach on a relatively flat smooth straight road at close to hwy speeds. If there are any misalignments, it will showup.

Thanks Rd1. That’s very helpful

Never drove a coach with a tag, but I spent a lot of time driving 10 wheel ladder trucks and water tenders, and I know enough about tags to be a bit jelly of anyone with one. Especially with passive steer…
IMG_2486.jpeg

Never drove a coach with a tag, but I spent a lot of time driving 10 wheel ladder trucks and water tenders, and I know enough about tags to be a bit jelly of anyone with one. Especially with passive steer…
View attachment 20718
Thanks Rich. How do you like Newmar?

Thanks Rich. How do you like Newmar?
For me its the only builder, other than Tiffin. I had amBay Star before the Ventana. Mine is high option enough that it has all the equipment I prefer and I like the interior better than the current offerings. Also being a 2016 I have a 2015 chassis and thus 2015 emissions but also the Star Foundation that started in 2016. That and half a dozen other reasons drove me to buy used rather than new although I am a bit envious of some of the new developments, most importantly the change to an L9 for 35’ Ventanas. But I’m really happy with the choice of materials, build and design quality, aesthetics, and being part of what I still consider the best production/semi-custom coach company.

For me its the only builder, other than Tiffin. I had amBay Star before the Ventana. Mine is high option enough that it has all the equipment I prefer and I like the interior better than the current offerings. Also being a 2016 I have a 2015 chassis and thus 2015 emissions but also the Star Foundation that started in 2016. That and half a dozen other reasons drove me to buy used rather than new although I am a bit envious of some of the new developments, most importantly the change to an L9 for 35’ Ventanas. But I’m really happy with the choice of materials, build and design quality, aesthetics, and being part of what I still consider the best production/semi-custom coach company.
My wife and I are looking to get the Dutch Star either 40 or 44’. It will not be new looking between 2019-2021. Her concern is mileage. She would like to get something with around 30k. However, I found one that is a 2021 but it has 65k. The dealership said it will include a 4 year warranty and will be replacing the two front tires and will do the oil change, generator and the Oasis system too. Plus the entire rig will be inspected. What are your thoughts on this rig with the mileage. Any input would be appreciated.

Latest resources

Back