• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Tag axle

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Here’s my thought on milage: I wanted a low milage coach too and bought one with 16k on it. There’s pros and cons but there was still some stuff that wasn’t sorted out. And now it has 62k on it and its done nothing but get better. Meanwhile higher milage coaches have lower asking prices. So if I were doing it again, I wouldn’t be so hung up on low milage. More emphasis on condition inside and out and comprehensive maintenance records. That would be a must for a higher milage machine and you almost never get them when buying from a dealer.

Fan, One thing you will get with the tag, a higher tow rating. My son has a '12 40' Phaeton. It has a 10k rating. I have a '19 40' Dutch Star. It has a 15k rating. I pull a chevy Colorado and never intend to put a 15k load in back. It is nice to have some cushion.

Does anyone know how much a typical tag axle system weighs? We know a tag axle system can allow up to 10,000 more lbs of load carrying ability to a Class A RV, but net of the tag axle system weight how much additional payload will a tag axle allow?

Does anyone know how much a typical tag axle system weighs?
A comparison between Newmar DutchStars with and without a tag is possible in the spec sheets using App UVW. The 4071 has a Tag and the 38xx models do not. Also interesting is the GAWR for the drive axle is higher on the 38xx series at 24k vs 20k for 40xx and longer with a Tag.
IMG_0680.png
IMG_0677.png

So if I am reading the numbers right going to a tag axle between the 3836 and the 4071 allows the coach to carry net payload increase of 4,700 lbs. Now I wonder how many cubic feet of cargo carrying capacity is lost between the two models by adding the tag to a coach about 2' longer.

Tag axle and comfort drive take the white knuckles out of windy days. As said once you have had one it’s hard to drive anything else. By the way I have had a 43 footer on both a Spartans a Freightliner and found no noticeable difference.

65k miles...engine not even broke in...that engine will outlast the motorhome...as long as maintenance done regularly

Latest resources

Back