Chassis
Prevost
Engine
Volvo D13
TOW/TOAD
2023 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Fulltimer
No
I was rear ended last night in my car (NOT my coach) sitting at a traffic light and instead of making a traffic jam scene I motioned to the driver to pull into the parking lot just ahead. After I pulled in, the driver decided to keep going and took off. I tried to physically chase them down with no luck. So the tip is if you are in an accident with no injuries, get out with your phone ready and take a picture of the license plate and occupant of the other vehicle BEFORE moving the vehicle off the road. Luckily no injuries in mine other than physical aches but an expensive repair.

Over the years, I have been rear ended 6 times in 5 different vehicles - all while I was standing still at a light, stop sign, waiting at a turn or waiting for traffic to clear at a highway exit ramp. Fortunately, none of them took off. One was unlicensed and uninsured.

Your idea is a good one. I never thought of that.

Your thoughts on taking photos immediately after an accident is a great idea. I have also done this when walking down our country lane and seeing an unfamiliar vehicle.

Just before Christmas, this came in handy. A car with 4-5 male occupants cruised slowly down our lane while I was out walking the dogs. It is a dead-end lane, so on their return trip heading out I tried to flag them down to see if I could help them find an address (there are only eight of us on the lane). They didn't stop and a couple of passengers covered their faces as they went by.

A cell phone photo and a call to 911 produced a quick visit to my home from a deputy sheriff who looked at the photo, recorded the license number and ran it. Turned out that the driver was well-known to law enforcement and lived a mile down the main road.

I never heard the end result, but the deputy said he was headed over to the driver's address to "ask a few questions." Bottom line is that this vehicle has not been seen in our neighborhood since.

TJ

Last edited:
I was rear ended last night in my car (NOT my coach) sitting at a traffic light and instead of making a traffic jam scene I motioned to the driver to pull into the parking lot just ahead. After I pulled in, the driver decided to keep going and took off. I tried to physically chase them down with no luck. So the tip is if you are in an accident with no injuries, get out with your phone ready and take a picture of the license plate and occupant of the other vehicle BEFORE moving the vehicle off the road. Luckily no injuries in mine other than physical aches but an expensive repair.

I'm sorry to hear of your situation and incident, that is a bummer. I cannot stress enough the importance of dashcams these days! I have one in the MH (forward only) and a forward and reverse camera in the toad. The camera can continue to record even after you're shut down using the power magic pro in the toad. It is a worthy investment IMHO

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07C3H8YXB/?tag=rvf01-20

I'm sorry to hear of your situation and incident, that is a bummer. I cannot stress enough the importance of dashcams these days! I have one in the MH (forward only) and a forward and reverse camera in the toad. The camera can continue to record even after you're shut down using the power magic pro in the toad. It is a worthy investment IMHO

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07C3H8YXB/?tag=rvf01-20

I agree. All of my vehicles have them. They are so important for so many reasons. Should be standard, built in equipment (front and rear) in all new vehicles.

Thank goodness you are ok. This is good advice ?

I agree with the pics after an accident!

We were rear-ended about 10 years ago in W. Virginia. The kid who hit us said we were in reverse at a red light!! No witnesses and the officer who arrived on the scene happened to be his Cousin! Who would have guessed! :rolleyes:

We didn't get pics and the officer took his word, wrote it up that way and we ended up eating it. We should have claimed back pain and demanded a hospital visit to eliminate any injuries.

Now we've got a dashcam and I take pics of everything!

Glad you're OK.

Latest resources

Back