Chassis
Freightliner XCR
Engine
Cummins 400 HP
TOW/TOAD
2017 Chevy Colorado
Fulltimer
No
One of the great things about RVing is the ability to go to things such as races, airshows, and various types of venues without the hassles of air travel, hotels, rental cars, etc. I'm going to share "how to" go to one of the greatest airshows in the country, EAA AirVenture and invite others to share how to go to non traditional events such as auto races to help others learn the process and break any barriers.

As EAA AirVenture sure seemed like a giant monster to me I payed the big bucks to go with a RV travel company, RV Fantasy Tours. Yeah, them...not such a great name around this neck of the woods as we learned they aren't the most ethical of operations. I cringe to even share that I paid $2500 back in 2018 to go to this event with them, this year I went on my own and paid I think it was $370 in total ($240 for camping, then the weekly ticket to the airshow). But sometimes I want to learn the lay of the land with someone experienced and that's what I did, it was a huge mistake. We were supposed to have sites with electric/water which they didn't do and now I know why in how those sites are booked and what they cost, it was a scam. So let's put that aside and show how easy it is to go to EAA Oshkosh on your own.

If you want to go to this amazing event you simply need to go to the EAA AirVenture web site and book camping for Camp Scholler. It's $30/day for boondocking, if you want the electric/water sites there is a strange system in that it opens for reservations 30 days prior. The cost of the improved sites are $75/day but you have to pay from the booking date until the end of the show. So if you reserve 30 days prior to the event you pay $75/day from that day until the end (you do the math of $75 x 30). Now each day that you get closer you only pay those days so you have to play the game to try to book a site before they all go and hope to get the best price. I didn't even try this, no need. I have a built in generator and also solar but solar is moot. Those sites really should go to people that don't have generators and based on the loudest generator of all mankind my neighbor had I would have paid for their site! So this is why RV Fantasy Tours scammed us telling us some lie about not getting the sites they booked, BS, they never booked them but instead rented generators for us and paid for a one time pump out mid show.

There are clear instructions on how to get into the campground and if you paid in advance you'll get an EXP window tag to go to an expedited check-in via a separate entrance and it was painless and I was lucky to not even have a line. If I do this again I'll go a day earlier to try and get a closer location but even with my site being about the farthest it wasn't bad ala bike and they run buses if no bike. It was a great setup and cheap camping.

In 2018 they had rain prior to the event so the grounds were a mess and people getting stuck. It was nice that the weather was consistent and the day prior to arrival this year we had a major storm with gusts up to near 60 mph. First time I ever thought my RV was going to be blown over in the campground I was staying in a few miles away for a few days prior. I was actually more concerned with someone's patriotic flag pole turn javelin going through the side of my coach. But I got lucky again. I knew the problem I would face and that's the muddy roads as a result of the rain. I figured I should delay until checkout time (1 PM) and let the sun dry things out and then head over but knowing thousands of RV's attend I couldn't stand it and left around 10:30 to head over to the event.

muddy-road.png
I got stuck TWICE! I knew it! As I expected the worst I had my hiking boots on, styling it in shorts ya know! Sure enough epic mess so I get out and unhook my toad and get it out of the way. I was able to back up thankfully and get out of this one without a tow. I then go to another area hunting a site and the Class A ahead of me is stuck in the mud but he powered out of it. I figured I'd offset into the grass but nope, I'm now stuck too. So I did the same thing and luckily powered out of it too, good grief!!! I took the nearest parking spot and called it done! I wish I was parked facing the airport though although this orientation provided a good advertising opportunity for those coming down the road so it all worked out.

We were lucky to have a cool week some days mid to upper 70's, other days low 80's. Solar did amazing with the summer high sun and AGS did a great job of running AC's when needed to keep the coach cool and the pup happy. I mastered my water conservation skills, I could have gone two weeks, and no gross processes, the gravity toilet sure helps, avoiding dishes helps (paper plates preferred), and shower technique all worked out well. Wet hair, water off, shampoo, clear face of shampoo, water on to wet wash cloth, water off, scrub a dub dub, rinse off and done.

I wish I had done this the first time around but so be it, live and learn but the point of this post is how to do it so you don't pay stupid money for something so simple should you want to attend this amazing event. I look forward to going again, it was a lot of fun, and a great way to enjoy the RV and why we buy such machines.

boondocking.png

Thanks for the write up and encouragement.

Yeah that's on my bucket list along with the Reno Air Races.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back