• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Teenagers-Choosing Camper that fits family

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Thanks TJ. How large of a camper do you think I should stick with? We probably won't have a larger size truck for 1-2 years. I would like to be camping next Summer in something nicer than what we had before!
I would keep the GVWR of the trailer at least 1,500 pounds under the GCVWR of the truck. Unloaded Vehicle Weight (UVW) and Cargo Carrying Capacity (CCC) are meaningless arbitrary numbers. What you want to know is what the real weight of the fully loaded trailer and truck combination (including passengers, full fuel tank and cargo in the truck and trailer). And, you will be amazed at how much weight you will add with just clothes, food, cooking and eating utensils, full water tank, etc.).

The best procedue is to actually weigh your travel-ready truck and trailer. Unfortunately, that's not usually possible pre-purchase. That's why leaving yourself a significant cushion over the "paper numbers" is prudent. Keeping your weight at least 1,500 pounds under the GCVWR ensures that you won't inadvertently overload things...as, unfortunately, many people do. An overloaded trailer will push an overloaded truck around and will make for an uncomfortable...and, possibly, unsafe) towing experience. Be safe; stay well within the vehicle towing rating limits.

TJ

Thanks Kevin &TJ
So it sounds like I should probably go back to looking at the lower axle number for my new truck? Get the good gas mileage on my daily drives. It sounds like using "MY" vehicle to be able to pull the camper I want is not going to be ideal. So maybe making due this next Summer and getting a 3/4-1 ton pickup is ideal. If I do that, maybe I should also explore getting a 5th Wheel versus Travel Trailer.

I have a fifth but that is for my better half. I would rather have a pull trailer. The bed of the truck is lost with a fifth. I pull double just to make up for this loss. That takes several states out of my travels.

Latest resources

Back