Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Carey

RVF Regular
When my 3 kids were little, we had a camper with 2 bunk beds. I really wanted a camper with a bunkhouse. Well, now, my kids are 14.5, 13, and 10. The will all be over 5'5 within a year. I am now wondering if I should just get a camper with 2 reclining sofas? I think the kids would prefer to stay in tents at this point. But, we also may be in a camper next Summer during a house build...lol. I have found 2 campers with both 2 reclining sofas plus a double bunk room and a kitchen island. Both Palomino Puma campers. But, I have to give up some things like an outdoor kitchen plus the kitchen is smaller anyway. So, just wondering what everyone with (particularly tall!) teenagers is finding most valuable in a camper? I (MOM) am getting a 1/2 ton truck for my everyday vehicle, so want to stick with a travel trailer as I often was the one taking the camper and don't want to switch vehicles while camping. My husband often will go a day ahead with our son and his truck bed camper and boat as well.

Welcome to RVF @Carey; glad to have you here. It has been a long time since we had a "tall teenager" to deal with, though ours was 6'-5". Given the ages of your kids, why not ask them for suggestions on what they'd like? You can make it clear that the RV will need to work for everyone, but including them in the selection process would give them an ownership stake in the final decision.

TJ

TJ-Thanks. Yes, I will ask for their opinions as I get closer to a decision. They were also consulted for the decision for me to get a Crew Cab truck instead of another Suburban...funny that a Truck would be a better mom-mobile than a Suburban. Although, the oldest will probably have a school permit next Spring. The older 2 also each have their own Volkswagen campers that they are getting drivable/outfitted. So, in a few years, I would imagine that we might be a caravan for camping trips. I would love a 5th Wheel...but decided that if I am getting a brand new truck, I would like to be able to also use it for camping.
Hoping to hear some opinions of when people got rid of the "bunkhouse" and what they found to work best for older teens through their trial and error. I am thinking about getting a newer camper, so want it to be a good fit for 5 years or so. Obviously, I have some flexibility with 2 kiddos about to have their own camping rigs..lol. But we have 1.5 and 3 years until they can drive those anywhere. :)

Kids have been gone for a while, however grand kids a few years ago was pause for thought. When they came to visit we rolled out the Teardrop and they thought it was great to have a room all their own. Dad has a truck camper and goes up early? Hummmm. Just a word, Find gvw for your dream trailer and fit the truck to the job. you may find 3/4 ton would be a better purchase.

Kevin-Yes, a larger truck would be better for sure! I will be getting the larger axles for more towing capacity. The Ram 1500 will be my daily driver...so not looking for a bigger truck. I did consider getting a larger truck just for a 5th wheel camper...but decided there is a huge advantage to having all my "stuff" already in my vehicle. And my daily driver would be the nicer of the vehicles anyway. I think a 3/4 ton pickup as a daily driver might be a bit overkill for my 5'5 125lb self! :)

Just remember that a half-ton truck will limit the size of what you can tow, as @Kevin D Pem points out. Stay well within the Cross Combined Vehicle Weight Rating (GCVWR) and remember that it does include the weight of all passengers, as well as all the stuff you put into both truck and trailer. Pushing the GCVWR to the limit also pushes safety to the limit.

TJ

TJ-Yes. I am ordering a '21 Ram 1500. Looking to do the 3.92 Axles to give me about 11,300lb towing capacity. I loose 1-2 mpg to upgrade to the 3.92 axles, but otherwise my towing maxes out at 8,310.

So far the trailer I like has a hitch weight of 1090 (I think I can max out at 10% of towing capacity). UVW 8833lb, GVWR 10,533lb CCC 1700lb. I wouldn't be taking ATVs or anything particularly heavy.

The trailer I like has a double bunk small room as well. I could see my 2 girls using that space and my son sleeping on the couch, tent, or if my husband brings his truck top camper. OR, I could get something without any bunks and a nicer living space, nicer master, nicer bathroom, outdoor kitchen, and probably a smaller trailer. Which has me wondering how long the bunks will actually be practical for my teenagers.

This is the trailer I'm thinking about, but am still looking. I definitely want more than 1 couch. This plan nicely incorporated the bunks, but uses a lot of space to do it.

Screen Shot 2020-09-17 at 1.14.52 PM.png

Safely towing a trailer is more than just how much weight you can pull. It is also how much weight you can control and stop safely. From the size trailer you have indicated, I'm afraid I would have to say you will be under-trucked with a Ram 1500. Sorry. Not trying to put a damper on your plans, but I would like to see you and your family travel safely.

TJ

Thanks TJ. How large of a camper do you think I should stick with? We probably won't have a larger size truck for 1-2 years. I would like to be camping next Summer in something nicer than what we had before!

You size the truck for the load, not the daily driver scenario. both trucks as daily drivers have the same pitfalls. A crew cab with 6ft bed is not parking lot friendly, at lest it is not a dooly. High gears only make both trucks get bad gas mileage putting them on equal footing in most areas. The average 18mpg I get with my 5.7 eight speed is average including towing. I have not looked at the numbers but would guess that the 16mpg you are talking with higher gears is about what the 3/4 ton truck gets and the 1500 towing heavy won't last as long as the 3/4 ton will last.

Latest resources

Back