RV Year
RV Make
Newmar
RV Model
Dutch Star 4081
RV Length
TOW/TOAD
Jeep Grand Cherokee Trail Hawk
Those of you who have studied one of Newmar’s “Retail Price Purchase Order” forms may have noticed an option item entitled “Temporary Windshield Protection for transport only”. The MSRP on this option for my coach was $92 and I think it’s the same across all lines.

d08c2859c3c2c25745dc395bf793bfac.jpg

I asked my salesman to explain what that option was all about since it didn’t make a lot of sense to me. He explained that Newmar installs a heavy duty plastic film over the windshield that protects it from rock chips and such while the coach is being driven to the dealer. The dealer then removes the film prior to delivery of the coach.

I asked him if it wasn’t true that while my coach is in transit from the factory to the dealer, it was the property of the dealer, given that I hadn’t closed on the deal and paid for the coach. He agreed that was the case.

I then asked why I, as the customer, would be interested in laying out $92 extra dollars (before discount) to protect a windshield that I didn’t yet own. It seemed to me I would be buying insurance to protect the dealer from the risk of road hazard. What’s next, do I insure the whole coach before they ship it in case it gets totaled in transit?

Makes no sense to me and my salesman could give no logical explanation either. I did notice that the same dealer does order this option on all his units purchased for inventory.

Any comments?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Any comments?

Simple, if I find chips, dings, cracks it's a non accept until replaced. Stupidist thing but I'm sure a lot of people get it.

I bought the windshield protector and still haven’t taken it off, 4 months later! Just kidding. I had the same thought as you did @deaton but since I was taking factory delivery I didn’t even bother to ask my dealer about it.

I would presume it’s an option many dealers might select when ordering unreserved coaches and since we who order our coaches to spec see the same build form, it’s something that we don’t care about. I’m just speculating though.

Chips/cracks on the Windshield you don't own yet, might not cost you anything but TIME. Thought it was well worth the $92-discount so when the MH showed up at the dealer I didn't have to wait for windshield replacement before I could start enjoying my coach.

I bought the windshield protector and still haven’t taken it off, 4 months later! Just kidding. I had the same thought as you did @deaton but since I was taking factory delivery I didn’t even bother to ask my dealer about it.

I would presume it’s an option many dealers might select when ordering unreserved coaches and since we who order our coaches to spec see the same build form, it’s something that we don’t care about. I’m just speculating though.

Well, in fairness, my salesman agreed that if I did FPU I didn’t need it. Maybe it’s only on there for dealers to add on their units ordered for stock.

Chips/cracks on the Windshield you don't own yet, might not cost you anything but TIME. Thought it was well worth the $92-discount so when the MH showed up at the dealer I didn't have to wait for windshield replacement before I could start enjoying my coach.

That’s a point.

I would put this on the dealer every time. Require it but they pay for it. If they cry over $92 then it's no sale for me!

It always amazes me that we speed hundreds of thousands of dollars on these MH's and still care about $92. Notice I said WE :)

“Mandatory” charge for California deliveries.

I moved into something else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It always amazes me that we speed hundreds of thousands of dollars on these MH's and still care about $92. Notice I said WE :)

That’s partly why I wanted to highlight this item. There are more than 68 option choices on the sheet for my new DS. The only other one that’s under $100 is the tax sticker required for three states, and that’s not really an option, you either need it or you don’t.

So I wonder why Newmar even bothers with this. It’s like packing material and should be absorbed in base price.

Latest resources

Back