Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Tesla model Y. Installation of hitch anti-rattle clamp. It worked. 😊. For the archives. Pics included.

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Voyageurs

RVF Expert
Howdy folks. Today’s project was to quiet down the noisy hitch receiver ball mount thingy. There is always some play in these things and every stoplight you can hear the clunk as it moves in the receiver. I wanted to use one of these.

54DB8611-A77F-44F3-B838-72358D7F61AA.jpeg

But the Tesla wasn’t cooperating as the bolts impacted with the plastic at the bottom of the bumper hitch opening. So, headed back to Canadian tire and got this style.

AC4E5299-2450-4FC0-967D-69DB60AEB70D.jpeg

Except without the lock as it would impact with the 7 pin connector. They are available with and without the lock. And the one without the lock is 20 bucks cheaper.

Really easy to put on although you’ll be on your back to do it. And you’ll need a 7/8 inch wrench. Tighten it down good and it will work well. No more noise. Here’s a shot of each side. Tight quarters but not a problem.

Only downside is you won’t be removing it fast as you need the wrench and a couple minutes. Worth it to us for the silence. And we tow our little RV a lot so we leave it on all the time anyway.

Sorry. The safety chain quick links are blocking the shot a bit.

E96C672F-61E3-4C29-AD27-725BE00FEA07.jpeg

D861650F-1C22-4FA2-8F8F-5D0806233504.jpeg

24505C11-44CF-4426-93A9-322876BA47C5.jpeg

And of course the obligatory shot of Jarvis our Tesla and T@Betha our T@B 400. 😊

DB87D0E3-3389-4EDC-9817-D9EC47A541DC.jpeg

Hopefully somebody finds this useful.

Attachments

• 5095B279-6EEF-4BFC-A72B-4BC8348E7FBF.jpeg
    5095B279-6EEF-4BFC-A72B-4BC8348E7FBF.jpeg
    394.8 KB · Views: 15
Voyaguers,

Good advice on the anti-rattle pin. I did go ahead and try the one you show that locks. Not so much worried about losing the ball mount but more the whole trailer. It fits with a little room to spare.

We’re also trying a greaseless Anderson ball. Figure as often as we’ll be unhooking this would be a plus trying to keep the grease off us.

Still wanting to get those those safety chain quick links a try you have on your Y. 👍🙂

Attachments

• F0F89347-66DF-43A8-B609-7E8098C3D13B.jpeg
    F0F89347-66DF-43A8-B609-7E8098C3D13B.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 31
  • E399A530-A73E-4C12-931E-AD5F20486855.jpeg
    E399A530-A73E-4C12-931E-AD5F20486855.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 31
  • F45650F1-9121-4A98-832A-8EF85D62457B.jpeg
    F45650F1-9121-4A98-832A-8EF85D62457B.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 31
Let me know how that greaseless ball goes. Trailer ball lubricant is icky.
Had a great trip. The ball worked out fine. It does show a little wear but I’m not overly concerned as it has a lifetime warranty. The anti rattle hitch pin did work itself loss once over our almost 6000 mile trip. Likely operator error. ;)

Howdy folks. Today’s project was to quiet down the noisy hitch receiver ball mount thingy. There is always some play in these things and every stoplight you can hear the clunk as it moves in the receiver. I wanted to use one of these.

View attachment 11905

But the Tesla wasn’t cooperating as the bolts impacted with the plastic at the bottom of the bumper hitch opening. So, headed back to Canadian tire and got this style.

View attachment 11906

Except without the lock as it would impact with the 7 pin connector. They are available with and without the lock. And the one without the lock is 20 bucks cheaper.

Really easy to put on although you’ll be on your back to do it. And you’ll need a 7/8 inch wrench. Tighten it down good and it will work well. No more noise. Here’s a shot of each side. Tight quarters but not a problem.

Only downside is you won’t be removing it fast as you need the wrench and a couple minutes. Worth it to us for the silence. And we tow our little RV a lot so we leave it on all the time anyway.

View attachment 11913

View attachment 11914

View attachment 11915

And of course the obligatory shot of Jarvis our Tesla and T@Betha our T@B 400. 😊

View attachment 11916

Hopefully somebody finds this use

View attachment 11905

View attachment 11906

View attachment 11913

View attachment 11914

View attachment 11915

View attachment 11916

Hopefully somebody finds this useful.
Have you had any issues with that anti-rattle device that goes inside the bar? You just feed it from the back? I have heard of those types of anti-rattle not holding up and becoming damaged and then must be cut off. I have used the traditional one like the max-haul you showed. I just tried mounting a stowaway2 on a tesla Y and found out the anti-rattle doesn't fit unless I cut into the plastic. I am looking for a good anti-rattle device so I don't have to cut the cover.

Have you had any issues with that anti-rattle device that goes inside the bar? You just feed it from the back? I have heard of those types of anti-rattle not holding up and becoming damaged and then must be cut off. I have used the traditional one like the max-haul you showed. I just tried mounting a stowaway2 on a tesla Y and found out the anti-rattle doesn't fit unless I cut into the plastic. I am looking for a good anti-rattle device so I don't have to cut the cover.
Hi Javi. No problems with our device, but heads up, we never remove the hitch as we tow a lot.

Hope that helps.

Happy camping season. We start again later this month.

Cheers.

Just thought I'd also chime in. The only issue I have had is it's worked it's way loose twice over about 10,000 miles of towing. But honestly I believe that was likely just user error. Both times I've just gotten my boxed end wrench out and put a little bit more effort into it the second time.

I have been taking my ball mount off between tows so that's were that 2nd instance had a chance to show up. I'll admit though I don't put the bumper hitch cover on and off each time. That's a pain in the.... 😄

Just thought I'd also chime in. The only issue I have had is it's worked it's way loose twice over about 10,000 miles of towing. But honestly I believe that was likely just user error. Both times I've just gotten my boxed end wrench out and put a little bit more effort into it the second time.

I have been taking my ball mount off between tows so that's were that 2nd instance had a chance to show up. I'll admit though I don't put the bumper hitch cover on and off each time. That's a pain in the.... 😄
Yep. Ours has never gone back on. 😜. And we have never removed the hitch ball mount either. 😊. It’s a permanent fixture.

Latest resources

Back